Living A Digital Existence Week 8

Discussion in 'News and Article Submission' started by MunkyMagikUK, Dec 8, 2008.

1. MunkyMagikUK

MunkyMagikUK Digiex Blogger

Living a Digital Existence Week 8

Some say I get too drunk on a weekend to write my blog in time.
    Some say I actually do have magical powers.
    All we know is, I write the Digiex blog...

Still Paying the price for being a next generation gamer...

First of all I’d just like to carry on from last week a bit. So, as you all know, I went out and bought my wireless controller last week. Great stuff. I was really impressed with it, much louder and clearer than the wired one, and was enjoying it. Then guess what happens. No, nothing wrong with the headset, but my 360 decides to show me the RRoD (Red ring of Death) for the second time since I’ve had it (About a year and a half!). You cannot begin to imagine how pissed off I was.

My problem is this. We’ve all paid quite a fair bit of money for our Xbox “Experience”. We first of all bought the console (£280 when I got one!) and then we have since bought games and accessories etc. in my case probably totalling around £300. So in total, I’ve spent around £600 on my Xbox. Now, having spent all that money, I would expect it not to break down after a year, and then again 6 months after that! I can kind of understand if it were to break down say 3 years after I got it, but certainly not as quickly as it has done. Fair enough, Microsoft have given everyone a 3 year guarantee, but this is the least they could do. It simply isn’t good enough.

Couple this with the fact that my old PS2 is still going after what, 8, 9 years, this just makes it even worse. I understand the 360 is more advanced technology, but this is no excuse for it breaking down so soon, as well as it sounding like a jumbo jet.

Ok, rant over.

The end is nigh for the high street...

Today I saw a news article that said we are going to have the busiest day for online shopping ever in the UK, with an expected £320m to be spent online. Britain’s online retailers are expected to rake in over £13bn this Christmas, which if we’re honest, is a staggering figure. And if I’m brutally honest, I can see why people use online shops more.

Certainly the high street has its benefits. After all, it is a social event. You meet up with some friends, go shopping and have a day out, which is all good fun. You may also tend to buy more when you’re on the high street. You go into a shop looking for something, see something else on the shelf and think “Oh I’ll have that as well.” But I just think the internet is so much more convenient. You don’t actually have to move anywhere (I know it sounds terribly lazy!) and it’s so easy to find what you want now, and more often than not, there is more choice online. I’m going to use the clothes retailer Next as my example.
    I can go onto Next’s website, look at everything they have to offer, and then with the click of a button it’s on its way. If I were to go to one of the two Next shops in Huddersfield, I can bet you they don’t have something I want.

Another point when it comes to online shopping is that now, delivery times are greatly reduced for most products. Again I shall use Next as an example. A few weeks back, I bought some clothes at around 5.30pm on a Sunday, and they were at my front door at 8am Monday morning. Now that’s service! And even with Play.com and Amazon, goods will usually be with you in two days, a small price to pay when you save £10 on an Xbox game!!

I don’t think the high street will ever disappear, but I do however, think the internet will continue to grow at this astonishing rate. So at the moment, we shouldn’t be saying “Don’t worry babe, I’m going to save the interwebs!” It should however be, “Don’t worry babe, I’m going to save the high street!” ;)

Hope you’ve enjoyed this week’s Living In A Digital Existence, and as always, your comments are appreciated.

Until next time...

David
    (MunkyMagikUK)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Gutted about the 360, you would think the problem would have long since got sorted out, that’s 3 people I know now who have 360’s fail in the last couple of weeks :S it’s just not acceptable, the failure rate for 360 is probably higher than most other consoles released in the last decade combined.

The strange thing is my launch console has been perfect since launch *touch wood* from all accounts it’s probably one of the only ones left in existence :| Now its 3 year warranty has run out it will be £60+ a pop to get it fixed, it will be more worthwhile getting a new arcade with another 3 year warranty thrown in for free.

Moving on to shopping I agree I don’t mind going shopping with mates, but for most things I find myself thinking If I could wait a couple of days for it to be delivered I could save myself a bomb and just order it online which is what I end up doing! I’ve been to Meadowhall in the past and the only thing I’ve purchased is food!

Online is the future but again agreeing with you the high street is never going to disappear.

3. Haloman

Haloman Addict

As for your comments about shopping on the high street being a social event all I can say is that while I understand you about it being a social event I think you a mistaken abit I went shopping in Leeds last saterday and it was Heaving. It was over-crowded and chlostraphobic. it would have been much easier and comfotable if I had just used the internet.

4. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

You maybe, others enjoy the social aspect of shopping with friends.

5. LiquidBlack

LiquidBlack New Member

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Matty. Especially considering the newest release of the 360's hardware version has been released. (Now, both the processor and video card are at 65nm, as opposed to just the processor, or in the first console both at 90nm) Make sure if you decide to get a new console (arcade and just move the harddrive or whatever), to do some research to make sure you get a model using the most recent hardware.

6. wagner

wagner Well-Known Member

I don't own a 360 but my ps2 has also been running fo at least 8 years!

Internet shopping definitely is gaining a market(From lazy people like me!)and that is good

Cool blog

7. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

Every single Xmas present I've bought so far has been online. I think I may go to the highstreet for some gift vouchers (though you can now also buy these online as well!). So yeah, it's not looking great for the Highstreet but I don't think it'll die out as like you said, it can be a good social activity and like Haloman said, during Christmas time especially, the highstreet is usually heaving with people.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  8. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

That’s exactly why I prefer shopping online, I hate walking about trying to buy stuff when the shops are too packed to move about it!