Living a Digital Existence

Discussion in 'News and Article Submission' started by MunkyMagikUK, Sep 6, 2008.

1. MunkyMagikUK

MunkyMagikUK Digiex Blogger

Living a Digital Existence

As InsaneNutter was complaining at the lack of front page news, I thought I’d try my hand at writing a small blog.

Look at my Chrome!

I’m sure many of you have seen the release of Google’s answer to IE and Firefox this week, Chrome. For those of you who have not heard of this, it is a new web browser released by Google to rival Microsoft’s Internet Explorer and Mozilla’s Firefox. Whilst there have been a few problems with it so far, one being security issues with “drive by” viruses being able to be deployed onto your computer, and the other being that Google claim they “own” anything you might upload or post using the browser (something they have now rectified and say it is in the users hands as to whether they allow this). Despite these problems I have been using Chrome for around a week now, and I have to say, I love it! The look, the usability, it’s all there for me! I just hope they can sort these security issues out. Any one else using it? If so, what do you think?

Doomsday?

Yes, the world is about to end. Well, at least according to opposition of the brand new LHC (Large Hadron Collider). This is a 27 kilometre machine that will smash protons into each other at unbelievably high speeds. The machine is set to start tests on Wednesday 10th September, and will be running at full capacity within a few months. Some say that there is a one in a million chance that it will create mini black holes which will put an end to the universe, and, in the immortal words of Frankie Boyle:
    “If there is a one in a million chance of the world ending, why bother? I couldn’t even give a fuck about protons!”
    Perhaps people would like to tell us what they would like to do if the world were really to end on Wednesday?

Turbulent Times for the Toon

In a week when two premiership managers have resigned, you have to ask yourself what has happened to British football. Gone are the days when players were paid just enough to buy a couple of pints in the pub after a match, and now we have foreign billionaire’s buying players for £32 million pounds without a second glance. Managers have lost control of their clubs, and fans are now even contemplating boycotting matches. My question is, has the true spirit of the game been lost due to the “mega bucks” business football seems to have become? Are their problems with your team selling your best players just to make some money? Or would you want your club to be taken over by a foreign billionaire and add to the downfall of the beautiful game?

I think I’ve gone on long enough now, but, if people have enjoyed it I shall keep writing, and provide Digiex with some much needed front page news! Please leave feedback and get posting!

David (MunkyMagikUK)

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

I wouldn’t say I was complaining, I was just pointing out we had a back page news section ;)

Anyway good post, you brought up some interesting things that have happened over the last week (Y) Ill be amazed if they do create a black hole...

3. Safinn

Safinn Addict

I'm scared now Lol. But what is the point in the test? Good post mate!

4. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

I think it would be awesome if you could do this once a week. Perhaps call it Weekly Tech Roundup? You can then go into a few interesting articles of the week and discuss them. I would love to help out if you ever had a lack of stories to discuss.

In reply to your original post:

Ive just installed Chrome as I was on holiday when it was released. It seems like basically Safari but with a proper Windows interface. I would like to use it full time in the near future but a few issues stop me:

They didnt fix the annoying bug in Safari/WebKit about middle mouse button. Pressing it down in Firefox or IE (Mouse wheel down) allows you to scroll across a website using your mouse. Now I'm lazy, and when im reading forums with tons of posts or a long news article I use that to get around.

No Addons yet. I'm not a major user of Addons in Firefox but there is one I couldnt really live without. Adblock Plus. Hopefully Chrome will allow some sort of extensions or addons like Firefox and IE do.

The Doomsday bit. I to have been reading up about it a lot, infact today they have fully turned it on :O Anything seem different? World appears to still be here... Maybe you wont ever get a chance to read this message if a black hole is formed? Fingers crossed ;)

I look forward to next weeks round up ;)

5. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

I think I'm still here at least. Haven't seen any black holes yet, thankfully. I may give Chrome a try, haven't decided yet. It took me long enough to move from IE onto Firefox. I'll probably give the beta a miss and try it out when it's fully released. Good post MunkyMagik.