Looking for a PC alternative to a Mac Mini (Small PC, High CPU, Lots of Ram)

Discussion in 'Computer and Gadget Help Center' started by Nimrod, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

Got a question for you PC users.

I'm in a mostly Mac household, and my home server currently is a Mac Mini (C2D, 1GB of ram, Snow Leopard). It's job is mostly network shares and 'Downloading'. I've recently really got into Plex and would like to take advantage of transcoding. However this requires a decent processor and my 5 year old Mac Mini with a core 2 duo cannot keep up. As such, my instint is just to go out and buy a new mac mini.

However after using Windows Server recently and Hyper-V, I've suddenly got a desire to instead replace it with a Windows box maybe. However I've been out of the PC scene for so long that I'm really lost where to begin. Ultimately the box has to have a good processor so that takes most of the 'premade' mini server boxes out of the question as they tend to have Atom's or AMD's version of them. Therefore I'm looking for:

• Small PC, about the size of a Mac Mini or similar settop box that can fit on a shelf.
    • Powerful Processor (i7 preferred, i5 acceptable)
    • Lots of Ram (8gb Minimum as I'll be hosting VM's to)
    • Solid build quality, as its going to be on 24/7 for many many years. Mac Mini's are known for being indestructible (It's been on 24/7 for over 5 years), so I need a PC which is similar.
    • Sold in the United Kingdom.

I don't feel like building from scratch, so I'm looking for an all in one package. Budget is no more than £500 otherwise I'll just get a Mac Mini (brb)

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to share ;)

Thanking you :)

2. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

I figured someone would of replied by now. The only thing that's really stopping me from recommending anything is that you don't really want to build it and you want it to be as small as a Mac Mini. Since you're interested in Windows and Mac I'd say take the Hackintosh route, that way you aren't missing either option incase you decide if one or the other isn't what you want. Though when it comes down to it, I really do think that Mac Minis are the best priced for their size, though I haven't been able to find many Windows PCs that small or even relatively close to that size.

3. supercity

supercity Resident

He wants windows on it, Why hackintosh a PC? Unless im understanding you wrong, Windows on a mac is bootcamp and mac on a pc is hackintosh :P

4. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

He said he was interested in getting a PC, he did not specify it would be a Mac he was going to get, only that he would purchase a Mac Mini if no good suggestions were made. If he were to get a PC that wasn't Mac and decided that he ultimately liked Mac better, then Mac would still be possible on said PC.

5. RedComputer

RedComputer Member

There is no such thing a Powerful Tiny PC. There is bigger (Not so much) Mini-ITX motherboard where supports Intel Core i7 3rd Gen

6. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member