Megathread: What Applications do you have installed on your smart phone?

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by Nimrod, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

These days theres so many smartphones from many different makers, including the Apple iPhone, Nokia N-Series, Palm Pre and Windows Mobile powered devices. With many having application stores, and the rest having ways to download applications, people these days use there phones for more than just phone calls and text messages.

I myself use my phone for gaming as there are some quality games available, as well as keeping myself connected online with instant messengering and facebook.

It would be interesting if people could share details on what applications they have on their phone.

I currently have the iPhone 3GS. Here is my 3 home screens showing my applications:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The first screen shows my default page, containing mostly the Apple built in ones. The second is my applications I use (most downloaded, some built in) and on the last page is games I have downloaded. Most are paid though I have some free stuff like Facebook.

First of all, I love keeping in touch, so I have access to my Facebook Profile, friends and facebook chat all within this one application:

[​IMG]

I also love Messenger, and when away from my PC I hate being disconnected, using IM+ I can stay signed into Messenger on the go. It supports Push notifications so even If i close the application to do something else or to save power, I'm kept signed in and when I get a message its pushed by my carrier (o2) directly to my phone.

[​IMG]
    Keeping in touch with the mexican on the go is important to me.

I also love Internet Radio, as it beats commercial radio any day. We at Digiex sponsor Music One and host a relay for them, so I'm always listening to it on the go thanks to the Tuner Application:

[​IMG]

When I'm not being productive I love playing games, my personal favourite is Worms which works perfectly on the iPhone, big screen, full PC graphics and a nice control system:

[​IMG]

Or a bit of Monster Trucks or Rolando:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I couldnt live without my smart phone, it keeps me connected and entertained on the go. So with most people having smart phones and data plans, what do you do with your smartphone?

2. KillerWhiteMan

KillerWhiteMan Burnout Racer

Well I have a Samsung Omnia i900. It is a Windows-Mobile-based phone with some nice features. Mainly I use it to browse the web (mainly Digiex of course ;)) and keep in contact with my friends on Windows Messenger (you know who you are reading this ;)). My smartphone also has Office Mobile as well which includes Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, and OneNote. I also use the radio that is built into the phone and occasionally use the 8GB internal memory for music and videos. I also use it to access my e-mail account when I am not at my computer. Although my iPod is only the iPod Touch and not the iPhone, it can still have most of the apps that Nimrod uses. Always good for some games, and it helps me keep track of my bank account with the Balance app. Overall, smartphones are a great addition to our lives!

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

I’ve got the Original Nokia N95 which I’ve had for 2 years.

One of the things I use the most on the phone is the 5mp camera, it’s nice not having to take a camera with you and been able to snap great quality pictures any time, the video quality the phone takes is also near DVD quality.

App wise the main apps I use are:
    BBC Iplayer – Can stream BBC channels 1-4, and BBC news aswell over 3g or Wifi as playing all the content on the Iplayer.
    Core Player – Play Divx / Xvid and many other media formats on the phone
    GpsD – Emulates a Bluetooth gps reciver so Tomtom can use the GPS built in to the phone.
    JoikuSpot – Turns your phone in to a wireless access point to your laptop can easy share the net to your wireless devices
    Nokia Maps – Like TomTom except free, useful for marking landmarks on your phone you need to find again
    Messenger – Windows Live client for the N95
    Skype – Skype client
    TomTom – GPS Navigation - Digiex setup guide here
    TweetS60 – Twitter Client

Some other apps I have but don’t use that often are:

Sports Tracker – Logs where you have traveld using GPS
    Barcode reader – Scans and reads the information on barcodes
    Lightsaber – Wave the phone about and it makes Lightsaber noises (just something to mess with really)
    Putty – SSH client
    Sic FTP – FTP client
    Sym Torrent – Torrent Client

I have more apps but I think I’ve listed the most significant ones.

Games

C2Doom – Plays Doom 1 and 2
    JFDuke3d – Port of Duke Nukem 3D
    Krally – Nice micro machines like game
    PicoDrive – Sega Megadrive Emulator
    Snakes – 3D version remake of snake (lots of fun)
    Skyforce – Top down aeroplane shooter like in the arcades
    Skyforce Reloaded - Top down aeroplane shooter like in the arcades
    Superminers – Bomberman like game
    Vbag – Gameboy Advanced Emulator
    Vboy – Gameboy Emulator

I also have the Java versions of the Yetisports games you will have seen here on Digex.

The N95 has the Ngage Arena which offers some quality mobile games such a Worms World Party and an Xbox Like arena where you have a gamer card, achievements, demo downloads and so on..

I think that sums up a lot of good applications installed on my phone.