Mercenaries 2 is a buggy game?

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by InsaneNutter, Sep 7, 2008.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Is it me or is that one buggy game? The graphics look so horrible on it... yet the screenshots on the official website look really nice. I can’t seam to get the game to go any higher than 1280x768, this don’t really help either as my monitors native resolution is 1680x1050.

The controls aren’t really the best either, but I found it a lot nicer playing with the Xbox 360 joypad connected to the PC once i got the game to recognise the controller.

Just wondering if anyone else has the game on PC and is having any problems with it?

Attached Files:

2. Assassin

Assassin Addict

I got the game as well and I agree with you that it could use some fixing. It doesn't look as good as the screenshots would make you think, not sure if it looks better on consoles, but why would you make it look worse on PC? You can actually choose a higher resolution though, at the settings you have the check the box widescreen because it's set to 4:3. Still, you can't pick 1680x1050. I use the same resolution so I had that problem as well. Also, I'm not sure if you have this problem, when I try to make an account I get the message error undefined.

Appart from the bugs I do think it's a lovely game though. It's GTA but better.

3. Safinn

Safinn Addict

Insane Nutter do you use a wireless controller and connected it with the play and charge kit
    ?

4. InsaneNutter

I’m glad it not just me, from Googleing around it looks to be a common problem, the game is fun to play however feels very rushed to me, I’m hoping they will be a patch soon.

Safinn, I use the Wireless Gaming Receiver to connect the 360 controller to the PC, the play and charge kits will only let you charge the controller as I guess you have found out.

5. Assassin

Assassin Addict

A patch would be great yes, but I guess with most EA games you can't expect them to fully work right from the start. After playing some more I found some more bugs. For example, sometimes when I transit to a place, instead of going there the helicopter will go to some random place in the middle of nowhere outside of the part of the map where I can go, which means I die. Also sometimes the helicopter won't get up at all.

6. InsaneNutter

I can’t say I’ve noticed that happing yet, however it wouldn’t surprise me one bit really.

From what you’re saying the game sounds a lot worse than I thought, it makes you wonder if the game was actually tested before it was released...

It is surprisingly good for something by EA and quite fun to play... I’m usually not a big fan of EA games these days, for example I think they have ruined the Need for Speed series with releasing a new game every year... but that’s for another topic, we will see if they come through and patch it soon.

7. Assassin

Assassin Addict

A PC patch went online:

European version: http://eu.llnet.eadownloads.ea.com/u/f/eagames/mercs/mercenaries2_patch1_enfrru.exe

US version: http://na.llnet.eadownloads.ea.com/u/f/eagames/mercs/mercenaries2_patch1_na.exe

Fixes:

• When the user sets the shader level to low in the options menu, the user can set the shaders back to high again.
    • The user can now cancel a contract by using a controller.
    • The user can set the volume levels to high and low using the mouse properly now.
    • When the user fails to find another player using “Custom Match” the menu options function normally.
    • Joystick sensitivity now operates as designed.
    • Adjusting the view distance from the main menu functions properly now.
    • The user can no longer create accounts using “spaces” in their names, thus allowing them to search online for names properly.
    • Paper animations have been removed from the game.
    • All common 16:9 and 4:3 resolutions are now available. ****NOTE: Using a DVI Interface cable to connect your display to your video card can seriously limit resolution choices available both in game and in Windows display properties****
    • Default brightness now works when selecting the “Default” setting.
    As you can see, it fixes no bugs or glitches.

8. InsaneNutter

All new pc monitors are 16:10 or 5:4 for the few that are none widescreen... I would also think the majority of people are using a DVI connection these days too... I’ll have to try it sometime but I guess I’m still not going to be able to select anywhere near my pc’s native resolution.

9. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Yeah, it's not much of an upgrade. The things they did add are more or less things nobody cares about. I don't understand why they didn't take the time to fix some more serious bugs instead of adding stuff like this because, just like you, I still can't select my native resolution either.