Microsoft Confirms Xbox One Hard Drives Cannot Be Replaced

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by Rick, May 22, 2013.

1. Rick

Rick Moderator

Xbox One will come with a 500 GB hard drive which cannot be replaced by users, unlike the current Xbox 360 hard drives, Microsoft has confirmed. However, players can add additional storage to their console’s via third-party USB 3.0 devices.

Engadget reports that Xbox One’s hard drive is “non-user-serviceable,” but Microsoft’s senior director of product planning Albert Penello confirmed to the site that third-party USB 3.0 devices can be used for storing game files, saves, music, movies, and more.

You can check out all the details regarding Microsoft’s next generation console here.
    Source: Microsoft Confirms Xbox One Hard Drives Cannot Be Replaced - Gamekicker.com

Not this route again *-)...Hddhackr 2.0 for xbox one? Expect them to release different hdd versions of the console.
    Maybe no limit for usb devices?

oO Flowzilla Oo likes this.
  2. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

It's kind of like in Wii U's situation, it doesn't allow more storage but externally it does.

500GB is a lot, so that might be sufficient for me. 32GB isn't (WU's storage space).

3. CurlySteve

CurlySteve Elite Member

that may be a lot of space, but when you have to install blue ray games at an up to 50gb per game it doesn't seem like a lot of space at all

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

At least external storage will not be limited to 16gb / 32gb like on the Xbox 360, meaning you could connect a couple of 3/4TB drives if you wished. I kind of see why its not replaceable, this time the OS runs from the hard drive and is massive. Although im sure it would be possible to make the console download, and "prepare" a new hard drive via the internet if it ever was replaced.

I do agree with CurlySteve though, 500gb is nothing. Ive managed to fill a 1TB drive on one of my Xbox 360's, where games are small in comparison to what we can expect on the Xbox One. I suspect most gamers who use the Xbox One after a year or two are going to end up with USB drives plugged in the back of it.

5. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

With how bad 360 hard drives were, this is a bad idea. My HDD slowed my console to a crawl. It literally took several minutes to load the XMB and loading any game off disc took over 5 minutes. I had to format the drive to FAT32 and then put it in the 360 to format it back for the 360 for it to work correctly as just trying to format with the 360 without changing the format would give me an error. Also since the console has a really close to always online connection deal, I think i'll be staying away from the console for awhile.

6. InsaneNutter

I would hope they have fixed that Scyth as my console is the same, the 360 appears to index everything on the drive when you turn the console on, and extract the data from ever DLC container, arcade game, installed game and so on every time you power it on. My 360 is so slow these days even when navigating though the friends list on live.

Games load fine, its just the dashboard / guide menu which is a pain for me. If it take the hard drive out it and put my old 20gb one in (which is empty) it appears to run so much better.

I'm mixed with the new console, some things i think are great, others i'm not very keen on at all. Mainly the hard drive issues, and having to activate games to use them. I imagine the rampant piracy and games leaking months early in some cases on the 360 has something to do with that... as well as cashing in on the used game market.

7. MonsterMMORPG

MonsterMMORPG Resident

500 gb a bit low nowadays

and if you consider if it remains for the following 5 years

it is really really low

8. Neoteam1

Neoteam1 Addict

500GB aint going to be enoth. specially when installing games and dlc. Its like now im already on my second 250GB on my 360 and thats with hardly any games installed.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  9. seanpr92

seanpr92 Godlike

you can remove the hdd they are still satas but the bays arent accessable to the genral user you have to open the thing up

10. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

One thing to consider with the hard drive in this always on connected world we're in, is you could simply delete stuff and re-download when needed ;)

I know it be better if it has more storage, however let's be honest on my PC I delete games from Steam when my HDD is full, then when I need them just click Download Again. Did it with Borderlands 2 yesterday and the entire 9gb game downloaded in short of 10-15 minutes or so. It wasn't the biggest deal in the world so I suspect this is the solution for hard drive filling. Just delete older games you never play and install them again if you ever play them. The actual saved game (ie your progress) will likely be in the cloud anyways.

11. xXTacoGuyXx

xXTacoGuyXx Addict

Not everyone has super fast internet or massive download limits. :/ My internet is fast, yeah, but it still takes a couple hours to download a few GB, and i only have a 50GB limit per month.

12. oO Flowzilla Oo

oO Flowzilla Oo Addict

^^^ It takes me a few day's maybe even a full week just to download a 7-8 Gb game.

13. InsaneNutter

Maybe some hard drive like dock will be released for the Xbox One? the console has a side USB port which looks like it could be used for a hard drive to dock on to the console, a bit like with the 360. It would certainly look better then having a random USB drive always in the console.