Microsoft Surface

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by Safinn, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Safinn

Safinn Addict

I don't know If any of you know about this but I have been checking it out for ages now.

Microsoft Surface

Microsoft Surface (Codename: Milan), is a Multi-touch product from Microsoft which is developed as a software and hardware combination technology that allows a user, or multiple users, to manipulate digital content by the use of natural motions, hand gestures, or physical objects. It was announced on May 29, 2007 at D5 conference. Initial customers will be in the hospitality businesses, such as restaurants, hotels, retail, public entertainment venues and the military for tactical overviews. The preliminary launch was on April 17, 2008, when Surface became available for customer use in AT&T stores.

Surface is essentially a Windows Vista PC tucked inside a table, topped with a 30-inch reflective surface in a clear acrylic frame. A projector underneath the surface projects an image onto its underside, while five cameras in the machine's housing record reflections of infrared light from human fingertips. The camera can also recognize objects placed on the surface if those objects have specially-designed "tags" applied to them. Users can interact with the machine by touching or dragging their fingertips and objects such as paintbrushes across the screen, or by placing and moving tagged objects. Surface has been optimized to respond to 52 touches at a time. During a demonstration with a reporter, Mark Bolger, the Surface Computing group's marketing director, "dipped" his finger in an on-screen paint palette, then dragged it across the screen to draw a smiley face. Then he used all 10 fingers at once to give the face a full head of hair.
    Using the specially-designed "tags" on objects, Microsoft Surface can automatically offer additional wine choices tailored to the dinner being eaten based on the type of wine set on the Surface.
    Prices will reportedly be $5,000 to $10,000 per unit. However Microsoft said it expects prices to drop enough to make consumer versions feasible in 2010.
    Partner companies plan to use the Surface in their hotels, restaurants, and retail stores. The Surface is to be used to choose meals at restaurants, plan vacations and spots to visit from the hotel room. Starwood Hotels plan to allow users to drop a credit card on the table to pay for music, books, and other amenities offered at the resort. In AT&T stores, use of the Surface include interactive presentations of plans, coverage, and phone features, in addition to dropping two different phones on the table and having the customer be able to view and compare prices, features, and plans.

Watch the videos! It's amazing! I want one!

Attached Files:

2. Kitarii

Kitarii Resident

Heh, does look pretty interesting. It's mostly commercial at the moment by the sounds of it, so not really something you would need at home. At first I thought this would be something like the computer screen in Minority Report where they can drag all the images around without even touching the screen!

3. Safinn

Safinn Addict

No.. But im sure thats going to come one day. I think these will get into homes soon. They have everything you need for home. Not sure about documents and stuff but they work very for storing pictures ad transfering to other things.

4. MunkyMagikUK

MunkyMagikUK Digiex Blogger

I've seen this before and it's awesome!
    I love how you can put your Zune on it and it recognises it, as well as digi cameras and stuff, just amazing!

5. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

Well we've all seen with the advent of the Iphone, how much people like to use touch screen tech and so when something like this goes down in price it's not too hard to imagine it becoming popular. Sat back on the couch, cup of tea on the table and surfing the web whilst listening to music, sign me up. Sure I could probably do this now with my laptop but with this I don't have to rest something on my lap and no worries if something gets spilt :D.