Microsoft: Win7 hackers, remember that's illegal!,Upgrades require a original windows

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by InsaneNutter, Oct 30, 2009.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

I feel you should all be aware of Microsofts feelings about buying an upgrade edition of Windows 7.

Windows 7 is out, which means tech-savvy consumers have a new opportunity to beat the system. Hackers are doing their thing by skirting those pesky licensing restrictions and using Windows 7 upgrade discs to install the full operating system.

But Microsoft wants those hackers to know that by doing so, they also skirt those pesky things called laws.

"Unfortunately, it looks like it is time to have this conversation again," Eric Ligman, global partner experience lead for the Microsoft Worldwide Partner Group, wrote in a blog post. "Over the past several days there have been various posts, etc. across a variety of social media engines stating that some 'hack' (be it a person or a procedure) shows that a Windows 7 Upgrade disc can perform a 'clean' installation of Windows 7 on a blank drive from a technical perspective.

"Of course, from the posts I saw, they often forgot to mention a very basic, yet very important piece of information ... 'Technically possible' does not always mean legal."

[​IMG]
    Courtesy of Microsoft

Why? Because when users purchase a Windows 7 upgrade, they must already own a qualifying Windows license (i.e., an old version of Windows) to legally run Windows 7. If they don't, and hack the upgrade installation process, they don't end up with a license to run the new operating system.

In hindsight, it sounds like common sense. But software licensing is complicated and not always clear to the everyday user. That's why Microsoft felt the need to warn people that those hacking instructions they may have found online might lead to illegal activity.

"So when these posts and write-ups state that you can install clean from an Upgrade piece of software and they fail to mention that you need to own a qualifying software license to be legal to use the Upgrade software for the installation, they give the impression that because it is technically possible, it is legal to do," Ligman wrote. "Unfortunately, by doing this, they irresponsibly put end users at risk of loading unlicensed software."

The legal way to do a non-upgrade install of Windows 7 is to pay Microsoft at least $199.99. The cheapest upgrade costs $119.99. I know there are a lot of people who'd rather take the legal risk.

Source:
    SeattlePI

2. BonezOz

BonezOz Addict

Sydney, Australia, the greatest city in the World
    In my honest opinion, I think it's time to drop "upgrade" products all together, well at least for MS software as you can perform an upgrade with the full version anyway. This would prevent licensing issues.

3. Slaz

Slaz Roast as you make toast!

Recent investigation has proven that the majority of Dutch computer stores are selling OEM versions of Windows 7 to the end-user, without even knowing it's illegal to do so. Which means even the 'experts' with IT licenses reselling hardware and software have found the software licensing terms too complicated. Most shops said:

1: Choose for the OEM version if you buy Windows 7 with a new computer.
    2: Choose for the Upgrade version if you want to upgrade your current installation to Windows 7.
    3: Choose for the Standard version if you want a clean Windows 7 installation.

So haha if that's the case. Why go for Standard if OEM did the same thing, just VERY cheaper.. :P

Oh and I always wondered from what Windows version you are legally allowed to use the Windows 7 Upgrade. I think it's still possible to upgrade Windows 2000 to 7. But what if you bought Windows 95 back in the days? Are you still legally allowed to buy the upgrade even though your 'earlier product' is not supported by the upgrade programming itself?

4. paardje

paardje Addict

I just dumped the old XP (hey, that OS is 8 years old man!) and wiped my hard drive just to install the upgrade version of Windows 7! (OK, had to install everything from scratch but who cares?!?!? Had SOMETHING to do then, hahaha!) And damn ! Why don't they just BUY it in the stores instead of filling it with crap after posting it on Pirate bay or sum?

Will they ever learn?

5. Titcher

Titcher Addict

I haven't seen any pirate releases of Windows 7 filled with crap. They're just Windows 7. My OEM version of Windows 7 works fine.

6. paardje

paardje Addict

No, I meant thosr named like: black edition, ultra edition, grey edition... stuff like that...

7. Titcher

Titcher Addict

Ah then yeah you're right, I wouldn't recommend those. It's not that there's anything wrong with them, but there's no way of telling what's been done to the operating system, some of them are just bundled with some drivers and a post-install selection of software, but some have things pre-integrated and such and can be real pigs. And for the paranoid out there, what if they bundled trojans?