Monitor Repair

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by BigRod989, Jan 22, 2011.

1. BigRod989

BigRod989 Addict

Or other electronics. I searched to see if there was anything like this before posting.

I bought 4 22 inch Sceptre 1080p LCD monitors with HDMI (Model X22WG-Gamer) for $32 ($8 each) they are all broken, (thats why so cheap lol) but they have some caps is the power supplys that are blown, I have fixed 1 sofar it had 2 bad caps it took about 20 minutes to have a working monitor :D. I also do xbox 360, Ps3, Wii, and Pc/Mac's. Is there anyone else on here that likes todo this type of thing (I prefer hardware to software) and if so were do you order caps from are there any caps that you have noticed that last longer then others. Sofar I havent been able to find a good place to order them from and been taking the good caps out of stuff that I don't think is worth fixing to save the stuff that is working fixing lol. So any feed back would be great I can take pics and show you what I'm am doing to soldering I'm kinda new (not to much experience) but always been great with working on electronics. Sofar i think the hardest part for me is taking the good caps out of the stuff to reuse them, whats the best way to do that?

Update: Just did my second monitor same 2 caps blown in the power supply so now I have 2 working :D (this time added a couple pics) sorry about the second photo I have bad lighting at my place (the first one I took in the afternoon) and i took the photos with my iPhone 3GS. but 2 down 2 to go
    photo(1).JPG photo.JPG
    Update 2: So here are pics of the blown caps all 4 monitors had the same 2 blown caps in the power supply image(2).jpeg
    Here is a pic of the back of the board right at C553 (its right in between the points I have to unsolder and resolder new caps in) image(3).jpeg Heres what i've done to protect the areas that i dont want to get solder on or melt whats there image(4).jpeg The only thing I have is Black tape so I covered everything but the area's that I'm working on, good idea or bad idea? (I've done that on the other 3 and they are all working great)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

It looks like you know what your doing when it comes to stuff like that, how do you know what it broken, or can you usually tell like you can with the caps?

Interesting to look at anyway, it looks like you have got some pretty cheap monitors knowing what you are looking for.

The only thing I can really fix are PC's, but thats more diagnosing whats wrong not soldering bits to motherboards or anything. I have fixed a few Xbox 360's and other consoles in the past, again nothing too extreme.

BigRod989 likes this.
  3. BigRod989

BigRod989 Addict

Well really I think I might have just got lucky ;) I don't have much experiance soldering anything, How I knew it was bad caps in the power supply was when you turn on the monitor's you could get a screen for a second with a great picutre then it would all go black and the light on it would flash, because the LCD adn backlight did come on that the problem was bad power (blown caps) it happens a lot on Monitors and LCD TV's I think the best way to tell if its bad power is to have it all ready hooked up to a PC that is running so that when you press the power button you have a better chance of seeing the desktop before the screen shuts down, I have 3 19 inch LCD's i got like 6-9 months ago that had the same problem bad power, I never fixed them because they all had 5-7 caps in each one blown, I took the good caps off the 19 inch LCD's I had to fix the 22 inch LCD's I bought because they were the same caps. If you have them hooked up and turn them on and the power light stays on but there is no image then that normally mean the the Digital IC chip is bad or in rare case's needs a reflow. Like 1 out of the 4 monitors I bought and fixed I have no image with HDMI/DVI but it works with analog (that was a huge problem with the monitors that I bought and its why Sceptre stopped making this Model after they added heat sinks to the digital IC chips)