My burner died?

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by paardje, Oct 23, 2009.

1. paardje

paardje Addict

After years of service and fun, my burner probably died! It only can give the error: Power Calibration Error. It will pick up S O M E disks of another brand (mostly 2 from a stack of 10!) but it just won't burn... :'((N)

I tried to muck out the lens with a cleaning disc of brand Hama: no success

Blowing in the drive to remove dust *cough! cough!*: no success

Tried another burning prog: no success (I use Nero 7 and Deep Burner, both gives errors)

Tried to READ data from a disk: Successfully..........

I also have another reader in my rig but it's too darn slow!

Can anyone HELP me?

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

The laser in the drive is probably going, my DVD writer is 5 years old now and it refuses to burn CD-R’s however it will burn DVDR’s and DVD+DL’s perfectly.

Luckily DVD writers are cheap now, I think mine was £80 back at Christmas 2004 when I got it :O

3. paardje

paardje Addict

Well, here a small update and I do not know how this is possible but everything's working again. My drive takes CD's and DVD's again! Yay!

4. Icharus_Falling

Icharus_Falling Resident

ive had this happen with several burners, it is not uncommon. although, i must point out that if your power source is going bad, it can cause the burner to sometimes work and sometimes not work.

either way, new dvd burners are like $30 on newegg, and the price of power sources has skyrocketed in the past few years. 5+ years ago, you couldnt pay more than $50 for a power supply, now they have them for $1k!!! =/

5. BonezOz

BonezOz Addict

Sydney, Australia, the greatest city in the World
    My suggestion? I'll do this if and when my drive finally fails, is to buy a Blue-Ray combo drive, one that can read Blue-Ray, but writes to everything else.

6. paardje

paardje Addict

My old PC can't handle Blu Ray. If you try that, my PC will surely EXPLODE! Haha! :D (I only have 2 GB internal mem.)

7. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

2GB would be fine for playing Blu-Ray content. What really matters is the CPU and graphics card you have (new graphics cards boast how they can help a PC play HD content by processing some of the information instead of having the CPU do all the work). Your best best would be to have a good dual core CPU. Some useful info here: Minimum System Requirements to Watch 1080p Movies - Blu-ray Forum

8. Titcher

Titcher Addict

Nice work stepping in there Trebor, don't want people getting the illusion of needing tonnes of RAM for everything. Reminds me of a guy I know who bought 8GB of RAM for "gaming".

9. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

I hope you showed him the error of his ways. I'd say 4GB is the most a PC should require these days. Heck you can only utilise that if you have a 64bit operating system. Good thing about working in IT is that you learn these things. I feel sorry for the average PC user who might not have a clue :(.