Nas

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by Rubberj, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Rubberj

Rubberj Member

I use a lot of storage, probably growing at about 500gb a month and I'm looking for a NAS solution that can take at least 4 drives, fast enough to stream HD mkvs. I'm pondering a Drobo or a Synology solution but wondered if anyone has first hand experience or solid recommendations?

I do use LiveDrive (a cloud based storage solution with unlimited space/bandwidth) but it's not fast enough to stream :(

Cheers

2. gdavies

gdavies Elite Member

I have only ever played around with FreeNas and then added media playing options too it and seemed to work pretty well, there is a lot of other additions for it too, plus if your only streaming inside your house it works alot better than the cloud option livedrive offers

3. CurlySteve

CurlySteve Elite Member

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

He asked the question two and a half years ago, however i would agree with CurlySteve.

The HP ProLiant's are great, I connected a 5th drive in mine where the optical drive goes. That worked very well for me for two years, then i built my own 8x bay NAS.