NEC dvd-rom problems!?

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by Sharkz, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Sharkz

Sharkz Member

I have a NEC 3550 dvd-rom for about 2 years. I didn't have any problems with it until yesterday. I got GRID and and when i put the dvd into my dvd drive nothing happens, it just shows a blank dvd :S, fails to read that dvd.
    I tried also more dvds and half of them NEC failed to read. The Cds are working fine. It seems that my NEC can't read dvd-r or there is something else ? Maybe the laser is just dirty ? Anyone knows what the problem is ?

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

I’ve had exactly the same problem with 2 different DVD-Rom drives in the past, basically the drive is most likley failing and you will need to buy a new one.

Luckily there quite cheap these days, you can pick one up for about £10.

3. Sharkz

Sharkz Member

So there is no way of repairing it ? :( I heard that flashing the drive will fix that problem but i don't know how is it safe to do that. What do you think what's a good dvd-rom nowadays if I decide to purchase a new one ?

4. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Like InsaneNutter says, DVD drives aren't that expensive anymore these days, getting a new one will be cheaper than fixing it. It doesn't really matter what you get, they should all have the same basic quality.

5. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

It’s pretty safe to flash the latest firmware on to your drive, if you get the tools from the NEC website it should only let you flash firmware that’s compatible with your drive. It basically a 2min job then you will have to re boot, I did this with my failing drive but it didn’t make any difference.

I would recommend Plextor for a DVDRW hands down, they are usually a bit more than other brands but well worth the extra money. Ive got a drive by them in an old pc that’s been going strong since 2001, its had a lot of use over the years too.

If you just want a normal DVD-Rom I hear good things about Pioneer and Sony drives.

6. Sharkz

Sharkz Member

Okay thanks for your help, i will be looking to buy a new one. And as you say i don't think the flash would fix anything and it's not worth the time.