NINJHAX (SSSpwn) Nintendo 3DS Homebrew Exploit Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by InsaneNutter, Nov 22, 2014.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Smealum has released the long awaited NINJHAX exploit which allow's all currently released 3DS consoles to run homebrew on the latest system update, via an exploit in the game Cubic Ninja.

You can get your 3DS setup for the NINJHAX exploit by following our guide: Easy Nintendo 3DS Homebrew Hack / Ninjhax Homebrew Install Guide [3DS / XL, 2DS]

At the moment only a couple of homebrew apps, games and emulators are available. However concidering the exploit has only been released a day that will soon change. The most interesting homebrew content so far is:

• blargSnes - Snes Emulator (Crashes all the time for me)
    • 3DScraf - A 3DS adaptation of Minecraft, this is pretty cool to be honest and the frame rate is very good.
    • GameYob - This is a GameBoy / GameBoy Colour emulator. This works pretty much perfectly with sound.

Here's a Digiex video showing how easy it is to load the Homebrew channel from Cubic Ninja, along with a bad montage of 3DS homebrew content:

[video=youtube;dB_SxSqs3ds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB_SxSqs3ds[/video]

Is anyone else going to hack their 3DS? I'm hopeing this will eventually lead to a custom firmware so we can play the latest games in the future and keep the ability to run homebrew, and hopefully remove region restrictions from the 3DS in the future.

2. Slaz

Slaz Roast as you make toast!

Looks very amazing to have such stable homebrew running this quick after an exploit+launcher has been released!

But as I said earlier, I could better get another 3DS (one to stay OFW and play Smash Bros) in the near future, before hopping into the homebrew scene. :)

3. InsaneNutter

Smash Bro's works on the firmware out now, so unless you are forced to update the firmware to play on-line you should be ok.

I think a time will come within the next few months where new games will simply not work without updating, so unless a custom firmware is released it will be a choice between new games or homebrew for a while

Luckily for me Pokemon X / Y, Mario Kart, Smash Brothers and the new Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire all work on the latest firmware out now, which is exploitable.

4. Harcroft

Harcroft Addict

Still looking for a Cubic Ninja cartridge in Canada. No luck yet. I managed to get a shiny new 3DS XL after christmas, but no games yet. Hopefully the DS2+ comes out soon so I can enjoy something new on my console.

5. InsaneNutter

You would probably be better off buying the Gateway flashcard, you can use that to run homebrew and it's likely a lot cheaper than any copy of Cubic Ninja now sadly!

With the Gateway you can stay on 9.2 or lower and emulate the latest system update from Nintendo meaning you can play the latest games, access the eshop and keep homebrew (once games require you to update to play).

6. Harcroft

Harcroft Addict

I don't have any retail games (other than my old DS games) right now, also can't afford a Gateway card. Cubic Ninja is also a lot cheaper in North American than in the UK. Amazon.com: Cubic Ninja - Nintendo 3DS: Video Games

I fully expect the Supercard DSTWO+ to be cheaper than a gateway anyway, so I guess I'll have to be patient with that. I'm on 8.1.0.-19U so I really can't do anything with it (including eshop) without some exploit or loader cartridge.

7. InsaneNutter

Ah fair enough, to be honest i expect a custom firmware based on 9.2 will be out sooner or later. At the moment you can downgrade to 4.5 without a Gateway and install an experimental custom firmware which allows you to install .cia packages.

You can't play new games like this though on 4.5, however older games would work fine and it wouldn't cost you a penny.

8. Harcroft

Harcroft Addict

The only guides I've found so far require a gateway or another DS homebrew enabled cartridge to do it. The best I can muster is a first generation NDS TT. Doesn't even work on DSi, let alone 3DS. The wait continues heh.