A free custom firmware has now been released for the Nintendo 3DS, named Pasta CFW, this firmware removes the signature checks from the 3DS's system software.
Essentially this means if you have an Nintendo 3DS [3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, New 3DS] and want the benefits Gateway Flashcard owners have, such as been able to install unsigned CIA files, this is what you now have without buying an expensive flashcard.
Some things you can do with this firmware include:
You will need a copy of the game Cubic Ninja to install this custom firmware, if we have got you interested and would like a little project to complete this bank holiday weekend, then Digiex has an easy to follow tutorials ready and waiting for you.
- Install .cia (.exe's for the 3DS) apps, emulators and tools
- Dump roms of your games, then convert the games to cia files, meaning they can be installed and launched from the 3DS's home screen without the cartridge in your console
- Use SaveDataFiler to dump and backup your save games from your game cartridges
- Modify / hack games, their is already a mod for some of the Pokemon games which changes the story
- Play games from any region
Link: 3DS Homebrew Hack Tutorials