Nostalgia: Does anyone remember the old days on Xbox Live?

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by Nimrod, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

I was browsing reddit and came across this post:

Source: Ito15 comments on Can some veteran Halo players describe the multiplayer of previous Halo installments to a 12 year old?

Not just with Halo, but the old days of Xbox Live I rmemeber when everyone used Mic's, most people were friendly and games turned into massive conversations with all players talking, getting along and having a blast.

Recently playing on Xbox Live since the player base is massive now just doesn't seem the same. Hardly anyone uses Mic's, (or if they do, there in party chats), there is never any sense of team work (due to the lack of communication) and it just doesn't seem as fun as the old days. Perhaps it's just me getting old, but to be honest I miss the old Xbox Live a lot. I haven't really met anyone new randoms on Xbox Live in years (other than friends from Digiex or real life who I have added directly).

Another example is just recently on GTA5, we had like 6 members of Digiex in a game and only two of us (who also happened to be sitting in the same room next to eachother) were using Mic's, everyone else had them connected and wouldnt speak so after a while we just took headsets off. I don't know how your suppose to work as a team if your not prepared to speak to eachother, but again that's just me.

Does anyone else have any memories of Xbox Live from the past, or feel the same or is it just me?

Slaz and InsaneNutter like this.
  2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Very interesting topic to bring up, I certainly do remember Xbox Live been vastly different than it is now.

I think it all changed when all the major games adopted match making, it's so impersonal... your only likely going to play one round of a game with the people you are currently with before you are matched with some totally different people. So why bother speaking to them? I think what totally changed Xbox Live was party chat, everyone just goes in party chat with their friends so even if someone in the public game is trying to speak your never going to hear then. It does kill any chance of some proper team work, or talking to new people. What was a good idea was Modern Warfare 2 forcing people in party chat to speak in the public game once it had started.

The golden days of Xbox Live for me:

I much prefer the classic server list approach where the players control the game options, maps and can even kick people out the game who are not playing fair... or simply abusing the mic. That for me is how i remember Halo 2 and Gears of War. I never had Xbox Live on my Classic Xbox, so i used to play system link on Xlink Kai, you would end up playing with the same people each day, speak to them and work as a proper team. Sure i was not the best at Halo 2, however i learned a thing or two and the most important thing was everyone had fun, win or loose.

I felt that was replicated well on the Xbox 360 with Gears of War, half of the random people on my friends like are people i played Gears of War with back in 2006 / 2007. Gears of War had a server list browser, so you could host a game, set your own options, balance the teams your self and most of all talk to people. I found the same people would join the games i hosted each day, like playing with the map cycle, options i chose and would add me to their friends. So after a while it became easy to just look on your first list and easily fill a game with people, and most of all speak and have fun.

3. xXTacoGuyXx

xXTacoGuyXx Addict

I can't comment on this properly, with me only having got XBL early last year, but i had played some Halo 3 at this business in my city which allows you to pay for a certain amount of time, and you can go on their computers or Xboxs and play online.
    Anyway, i played Halo 3 a little bit there before Reach came out, and lots of people were using mics and there was a lot more teamwork. I'm pretty much always in party chat now due to not wanting to listen to annoying 12 year olds, and 40 year olds who live in their parent's basement, and mexican kids with their entire family in one room with echoey Kinect mic.

4. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

For what I lack in social skills I make up for in real skills. ;)

InsaneNutter likes this.
  5. Slaz

Slaz Roast as you make toast!

I never owned an original Xbox, but I do remember the early days of Xbox 360 where everyone was in the 'game chat' instead of isolated parties. I played days and days of Gears of War and Halo 3, and met new friends of which some I'm still friends with in real life!

Nostalgia is a strong feeling, yet I do believe that the current 'isolation' state of Xbox Live with parties and a more expansive game library, with a spreaded player base as a result, misses some of the charms Xbox Live used to have.

Nimrod likes this.