OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Discussion in 'News and Article Submission' started by Michael_T, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Michael_T

Michael_T Addict

The Ouya is a $99, open, totally hackable Android-based console with a touchscreen controller, and free to play games.

[video=youtube_share;XQrWvRtdCmY]http://youtu.be/XQrWvRtdCmY[/video]

- Eighth Generation Video Game Console
    - Release Date: March 2013
    - Introductory Price: $99
    - Operating System: Android 4.0
    - CPU: nVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core processor
    - Internal Storage: 8 GB
    - Memory: 1 GB RAM
    - Connectivity: HDMI 1080p, USB 2.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth LE 4.0
    - Input Method: Wireless Controller, 3-inch touchpad

I like the idea of a cheap hackable console & free to play games . 360 & PS3 are so closed , it's hard for indie games creator's to put games on PSN or XBL .
    The only problem i have with this is :
    If Steam comes with a console , then this will be a big fail.

Chrille likes this.
  2. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

Pros:
    - $99
    - Small console

Cons:
    - It's hackable
    - Anyone can cheat online
    - As it's hackable I don't see how profit can be made by game developers for this system
    - They shouldn't be comparing this little box to Xbox 360 or/and PS3, it still needs a lot of improvement

And, did I notice it correctly, this is only going to run Android OS games? Meh, mobile games? No thank you.

3. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

It's open source, not hackable, they need no exploits to make it do what they want, they just do it. It's no different than a PC. Honestly, if they want people to play fair, they're build an anti-cheat system, no different than what they have with PC games. Also, as far as I know, Steam isn't making an Open Source console, they're just reworking/adding the UI for it to look good on TV's. Which is a smart move instead of making a whole console.\

It runs Android and can probably very well play Android mobile games but this has more potential than what mobile phones are capable of, while at first it probably will be quite the dull console but once it's out for awhile, I imagine there will be some very nice games to come along for it.

4. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

Yes, it's open source but they said anyone can hack it if they wanted, so it's where my doubt how this will play for game devs.

5. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Its so easy to pirate games on Android, and block apps from displaying adverts too. I'm not really sure how they intend to make money off this, i see both piracy and ad blocking to be a problem, if its a truly open console.

The hardware inside this is already in Android devices today, my tablet has an Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core processor and 1 GB RAM, i must say it plays some great 3d games, so indie devs do have a lot of power to play with.

6. Michael_T

Michael_T Addict

All games are free to play , but if you want a different gun, then you need to pay for the DLC.
    My guess is that that's the way they will earn money.

Just imagine what you can do if the console is really hackable...
    Another great thing about the console is that all Android Apps will work on this console.
    So you can use the Internet , Twitter ... & even use the Onlive service to stream games to it .

7. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

So, the only advantage is the PS3-ish controller this has?

8. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

I imagine it's much cheaper than Tablets too.

9. Michael_T

Michael_T Addict

10. InsaneNutter

If there aiming for $99 that sounds realistic to me, the OUYA is a very similar spec to Google's Nexus 7 tablet which retails for $200. Of course the OUYA will not have the added cost of a touch screen, battery and camera.

11. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

I knew the price of the console already, it's probably been said at least 4 times. What I didn't know what the price of Tablets, i've never kept with them in the least bit so didn't know if they're finally getting to the point of lowering prices. It's very nice for 100, capable of 1080p and if it doesn't already have a mediaplayer, i'm sure it'll get one very soon. I'll definitely keep an eye on it and see if it gets a Mediaplayer that can play 10bit MKV, would definitely be worth the purchase for me if it can.

12. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

1080p HD + FLAC + All Subtitles' formats compatible = Brilliant media player!

13. InsaneNutter

XBMC has just been announced for Android, that makes this very appealing as a media player now too. I think OUYA might just be on to something here.

14. Michael_T

Michael_T Addict

Source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60y4--D0AgU

Man, the OUYA just got even better .

15. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

OnLive is alive? Hm, wow.

Last time I played OnLive was last year on this crappy PC I streamed some games for 30 mins free and they were great, but I'm more of the type that prefers owning the physical copy of the games than digital.

Digital.. With digital you can't hold it or anything.