Picking Graphics card that works with Apple Cinema Display (27inch) Mini-Displayport

Discussion in 'Computer and Gadget Help Center' started by Nimrod, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

Hello All,

For the past 4-5 years I've been much been in the Apple Camp, but recently I decided I'd like to build a Gaming Rig to get into PC gaming. The problem I'm having however is picking a graphics card which will work with my current display.

I've got one of those Apple Cinema Display's 27inch, (Mini Displayport - not the new Thunderbolt one) which has a 2560 x 1440 resolution which I'd like to hook up to the gaming PC. While I know it's not ideal mixing Apple hardware with custom PC builds, sadly this monitor is too expensive just to replace.

I was thinking of buying the below card:
    MSI GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
    MSI GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E.. | Ebuyer.com

It has a Display Port at the back, which if I bought a DisplayPort to Mini Displayport adaptor I'm hoping I'd be able to hook up however I am bit worried about compatibility.

For example, both the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 have Mini Displayports, yet if you plug the Cinema Display into the Surface Pro 1, it just won't work yet it works perfectly fine with the Surface Pro 2. Something must be different which causes some to work some to not work.

Also Goggling on this issue, while I couldnt confirm the exact cards to use, it does seem hit and miss where some people say the screen doesnt work some saying it does.

Two important considerations I have, is even if I get it to work, it needs to do the native resolution (no way do I want to upscale) and the HDCP handshake needs to take place as I do use quite a few Windows 8 Modern Apps (with ModernMix of course for windowed mode) to watch Netflix, Hulu Plus and other HDCP required applications).

Does anyone have any experience of trying to use an Apple Cinema Display in their PC builds, and if so did they managed to get native res + HDCP? If so, could they say what cards they used or recommend one to use (or confirm if my choice was a good one?)

Any help would be much appreciated :)