Play burned Playstation 1 games without a modchip?

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by Fennyariel, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Fennyariel

Fennyariel Resident

Is it possible to download a Platstaion ISO, burn it to disc, then go play it on your actual playstation and if so, how please?

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Yes its possible, get a gameshark / action replay and do the swap trick.

Some guy had made a video guide of him doing it here:

[video=youtube;2FzmTxatNb4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FzmTxatNb4[/video]

1) First make something to hold the open tray button down (its in the top right of ps1 underneath the lid) bluetack should work ok.

2) Get ImgBurn and dump / burn your PS1 games to a CDR.

3) Find a PS1 gameshark / action replay and run it. At the main menu, you can selct if you want codes or not but a memory card is required, take out the gameshark disc and put in your backup disc.

4) Lastly select to start the game and press X ;)

You can also do the swap trick without the gameshark / action reply its just a bit more tricky

1. When you open the tray of the PSX in the upper right corner there's a small piece of plastic that goes into a small hole. When you close the tray the little piece of plastic will go into the hole pressing down a small switch.

2. Place a piece of bluetack ontop of the small piece of plastic so that when you open the tray the switch stays down cheating the PSX to think the tray is still closed.
    3. Insert an original PSX dics and switch on the PSX.

4. Now this requires some timing: wait untill the region code is loaded into the PSX (during the splash screen) and quickly open the tray and insert your back-up.

5. Close the tray and hope it worked! Sometimes you need to tray several times to make it work...

Alternatively get epsxe and play the Playstation games on your PC

I’ve never owned a PS1 so I can’t really help anymore with this, I’ve seen it done many times through.

3. Fennyariel

Fennyariel Resident

OK, 2 questions:

1) Will this work on a PS2?

2) What the hairy heck is bluetack?!

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Nope that won’t work on the PS2, Something like SwapMagic should I guess however I have no clue about the PS2, I just remember back in the day one of my friends had an Action Replay which he used to play some games from the USA on his PS1, he was also supprised to find it would boot burned games.

Bluetrack? you mean Backtrack?

5. Wayne

Wayne New Member

1) For the PS2 you will need something like SwapMagic, it runs around $20-$30 new. It functions essentially the same way as the Gameshark technique for the 1st Gen PS1. Really easy to use with a PS2 slim, but really annoying with an original PS2 because you have to remove the dust guard from the tray and use a little 'hook' to pull the tray out.

2) Blu-Tack is a reusable adhesive. Tape works just fine

6. Neoteam1

Neoteam1 Addict

Just do what I used to do. Put a spring in the bit that pushed the button down thinking the flap is closed and just hotswap with a real game. it costs nothing.

7. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

Does this also work with Sega Saturn? It's not that I'd be interesting playing pirated games but I'm curious now that you've brought it up.

I guess for PlayStation 2 Slim they fixed this making it unable to play with such ease.

8. Neoteam1

Neoteam1 Addict

No this doesn't work for sega or ps2. The only console is the ps1 but its a bit tricky. I haven't done it for years you have to swap it atlease 4 time before the logo while the logo is up and when the disc slows. I would do a youtube video but ain't done it for years and no longer own a ps1 cos the ps3 lets you play them.

9. Neoteam1

Neoteam1 Addict

10. Goofy1221

Goofy1221 New Member

Does anyone know if the gameshark method works with a Cheats 'N Codes volume 1 gameshark? 1000x1000.jpg