PSP 6.61 Custom Firmware Install on any PSP - PSP, PSP Slim, PSP 3000, PSP Go & E1000

Discussion in 'Console Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Loccen

Loccen New Member

Please ignore previous post, I was being a prat and adding the files in the update folder. *Slams head on desk*

2. UnknownRespected

UnknownRespected Resident

I have 6.20 PRO-C from years ago... concretely-speaking, what's the difference between that and 6.60 PRO-C2?
    I don't currently see a point in updating since everything I've wanted to do with it so far worked fine, but I don't know if 6.20 PRO-C could have bugs or something that were fixed in newer one which could cause problems in the future, and it's pretty darn impossible to find any info on the subject (every Google search just gives download links with no real info.)

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

PSP games released in 2011 onward might require a higher firmware version to play if your on 6.20. You probably could patch games to work on lower firmware versions, i remember this been possible years ago when games were released requiring a higher firmware than it was possible to have CFW on at the time. However it was a lot of work, for me personally i'd sooner keep my game dumps clean and untouched so having a later CFW would be required.

Later Sony firmwares patch various save game exploits and things like the scepower kernel exploit, from a homebrew point of view you dont gain much at this point, although i think any homebrew still been updated is done so with 6.60 / 6.61 in mind.

From the point of view when i created this guide 6.60 was the latest firmware and the first universal firmware for all PSP models (PSP-1000, PSP-2000, PSP-3000, PSP-N1000 and PSP-E1000) meaning no matter what PSP variant someone had they could make use of this guide.

6.61 doesn't add anything of value and simply broke some homebrew apps / plugins, which i believe most have since been updated anyway. My PSP is on 6.60 where it will likely stay.

The PRO-C firmware has essentially just been updated to support newer OFW versions.

4. UnknownRespected

UnknownRespected Resident

Ah well, guess I won't really ever need it then. Fairly sure the only games I'm interested in are pre-2011.
    Everything I need is already working fine and from what you're telling me, I don't stand to gain anything concretely so I might as well not risk messing up an already-working setup by attempting to change it.

5. RavenTsun

RavenTsun New Member

Funny note to add;

I had 6.60 PRO-C on my PSP-3000 before this, and updated to OFW 6.61 to swap to PRO-C2 and retain PlayStation Network accessibility on the OFW. Though, despite uninstalling PRO-C first, the CFW displays itself as being 6.61 PRO-C rather than 6.61 PRO-C2.

It isn't a big deal, as everything works properly, but a funny side-effect nonetheless.

6. v00d00d

v00d00d Member

Hi All

I just found this guide via the google as I'm going to get me a2nd hand psp to hack and run emulators on.
    I'm guessing this is the place to be :)

I'm going to start to read all these posts but and good tips for which psp to get for running mainly snes and mega drive emus etc.

many thanks
    v00d00d

7. InsaneNutter

You can hack any PSP, a PSP 1000 or a PSP 2000 that is not an 88 v3 would be best if you want to permanently flash CFW. However its easy enough to load the fast recovery app if you fully power of the PSP and want to use Homebrew / Emulators again.

It is possible to permanently some other PSP on a certain lower firmware, however this tutorial is aimed at been as newbie friendly as possible so not something that's covered, i also don't have one of those PSP's to cover downgrading.

I'd say buy which ever PSP model you like the look of best as you can use emulators on any by following this tutorial, with the later models you just have to load the fast recovery app first if you fully power the PSP off instead of just letting it sleep.

8. v00d00d

v00d00d Member

Hi what's 88 v3 mean?
    Can you not do psp3000/psp go/psp street e1000???

9. InsaneNutter

Its a motherboard type in the PSP.

You can't permanently flash CFW to PSP 3000, Go and E1000, however you can use all the features of CFW, you just have to run the fast recovery app if you totally power the PSP off.

10. Jus1234

Jus1234 New Member

Hi InsaneNutter,
    I must say your post is very well written and easy to follow. I've successfully upgraded two PSP's (well one really successfully and one, well that's why I'm writing) with your advice.
    One of the PSP's is now working flawlessly (both 1000's which were on 5.50-Gen-D3, not 88v3 boards but both slightly different numbers) with it's 64Gb Micro SSD to Memory Stick Adapter. The upgrade on this one was effortless and just followed the bouncing ball you so clearly laid out.
    The other one, well lets just say I had a few issues with the dreaded DRNFFFFFFD7 error. I managed to download Keycleaner 1.4 and repair key 5 which was not allowing the upgrade. After this, all worked well, I upgraded to 6.60 and everything was working well until I put my old 64Gb Memory stick back in. The memory stick worked after hot swapping, I could see all the games and get them to work, however when putting the PSP to sleep or turning off, it won't turn back on, just displays a green power light, nothing else. I need to completely turn it off, swap back to the old 4Gb card and turn on, everything works fine (albeit with 60Gb less room for games).

What I've done to try and fix this,
    1. Copied all the contents of the 4Gb card to the 64Gb card (including hidden files)
    2. Made sure all settings on both PSP's are the same in the Pro VSH menu
    3. Upgraded to 6.61, just in case this would fix it

Nothing has worked thus far, Any idea's on what could be causing this? Should I change the keys back to the way they were now the PSP has upgraded to 6.61?

Your experience and Wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

11. Amazing Jeff0

Amazing Jeff0 New Member

Hi There. Earlier today i found an old psp in storage. I bought it years ago, already modified. i wanted to upgrade it but everything i try gives me a message that says "the game could not be started. (DADADADA)"

System software says 3,52 M33

i read thru about 4 pages of comments here but didnt see anything like ti happening and I don't know much about hacking....

12. Ziloers

Ziloers New Member

Hey guys, my psp doesn't show the update files or any of them when i put them inside my game folder,it says that your stick is empty or something, i can't seem to fix it so i updated my psp to 6.61 and still i can't see them, any suggestions?

i also tried to fix them by copying folders from my other 2 psp slim and the 3 of them are messed up. 3 of them are slim

13. InsaneNutter

Is the 64gb card a Dual MicroSD to MSProDuo adapter?

I seem to remember the PSP had issues with anything above 32gb, i'm not sure if that's changed however 32gb was the limit when I was last using my PSP.

Use Hellcat Recovery Flasher v1.65 to flash an 5.00 OFW then you can follow this tutorial updating to 6.60 and finally installing the CFW.

Flashing OFW can be risky so keep that in mind, do so at your own risk.

PSP Recovery Pack Download - this includes the 5.00 update and a 5.00 CFW. I believe from 5.00 CFW you will have no problems updating, although it has been a long time since i did anything with the PSP, so can't be 100%. Just trying to help you the best I can.

Format the memory card on the PSP, then copy the files across.

If you still have issues upload some screenshot of what is on your PSP's memory card.

14. Ziloers

Ziloers New Member

I tried formatting my memory card and then copied the cfw files onto my Game folder and nothing happens when i switch to psp it says, "There are no games. Content can be downloaded or purchased from the PlayStation Store. I also tried to do the same thing with the video folder but videos does not appear."There are no videos."

15. InsaneNutter

So on your Memory Stick you have \PSP\GAME

Then inside the game folder you have CIPL_Flasher, FastRecovery and PROUPDATE

16. Ziloers

Ziloers New Member

Yes, and the memory stick is working and functional.

17. Ziloers

Ziloers New Member

It's fixed, turns out i had some sort of virus that made my actual psp files hidden and showed the fake ones. Sorry for the problems i've caused :x

18. InsaneNutter

No problem, glad everything is now working ok!

Ziloers likes this.
  19. John_Sn0w

John_Sn0w New Member

Hello, quick question.

Whenever I try to start Monster hunter portable 3rd I get the following error: "The game could not be started ( 800200D9)"

Apparently this Errorcode means something like "Error while allocating memory Block" although I am still pretty much clueless :)

I tried different ISO's from multiple sources, same error-code.

There were also people suggesting to turn off some kind of plugins using the recovery mode, although I did not find the relevant plugins.

20. InsaneNutter

From the XMB menu, press the Select button
    Go to UMD ISO Mode
    Try changing the different ISO modes and see if that works