Red Alert 3 PC Beta Now Live With 500,000 Players

Discussion in 'News and Article Submission' started by InsaneNutter, Aug 4, 2008.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

[​IMG]

The open beta to Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 is now live. Red Alert 3 is the next highly anticipated installment in the popular real-time strategy franchise and forces players to take control of the Allies, Soviets, or the new Empire of the Rising Sun. In addition, players will have control over all units including bears, dolphins, kirovs, mirage tanks, and transforming machines.

Even though there have been many Command & Conquer games over the years, the last Red Alert came out nearly eight years ago in 2000, but if you're a Red Alert fan you won't have to wait much as the next installment of Red Alert will ship this October.

An EA rep contacted us earlier this morning, informing us that the BETA is now 500,000 users strong.

To be queued up for a test drive of the game before it launches, purchase a copy of expansion pack Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath. Included in Kane's Wrath is a beta key for Red Alert 3, which you can register here.

For those not in the beta, you can download and take part in the effort to bypass its security and play it by clicking below:
    Digiex Red Alert 3 Beta Leak

Source

2. InsaneNutter

Even though I think EA have ruined the Command and Conquer games I still wouldn’t mind trying this, it looks the best game in the C&C universe since Red Alert 2.

If anyone has a beta key they don’t want let me know ;)

3. Assassin

Assassin Addict

I got Kane's Wrath when it came out and used the key as well, so I should get an e-mail from EA sometime soon. I never really played Red Alert 2 actually. I never had it untill a year ago when I got The First Decade. Still I didn't really play it and was more obsessed with the first C&C and RA1 (for which I still need to finish the Soviet campaign). I should get around to playing that before I get into the beta..

4. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

Just thought I'd rub it in and say my beta invite came this morning and the client is now downloading. Pictures to follow later :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  5. InsaneNutter

Lucky! I should have bought Kanes wrath except I wasn’t keen on the game and didn’t think it was worth it just to get in the Ra 3 beta! Someone put a video of it online, Digiex should go one step more and do a full review and some nice HD screenshots hint hint ;)

6. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Heh, I was thinking of reviewing it. Hopefully EA will send my invite soon. I'm not sure in which order they are sending the invites, but if they do it by when you signed up, I should get it soon since I got Kane's Wrath pretty close to release.

7. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Well I got my key this morning and played a match. Of course I made screenshots of it. ;) They're all in 1680x1050. I played as the Allied, I'll play as the other two factions later and post screenshots of that. I'll see if I can make a video as well. Too bad I lost the match.. Took me some time to figure out I had to upgrade by clicking the I icon in the building tab to make more buildings and vehicles (You can see the II icon in one of the screenshots, after I upgraded once). Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. TreeViper

TreeViper New Member

Can someone with the beta please capture some high quality video for people who don't have it? It would be much appreciated! :)

9. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

If you can recommend a free good quality capturing application I will more than happily play a online game and record it and post it for you to view.

Cheers :)

10. TreeViper

TreeViper New Member

Nimrod,

Here is one called fraps. If that's not good enough try CamStudio

Attached Files:

11. Assassin

Assassin Addict

I tried recording with Fraps a bit but I can't seem to get the sound to work. Recording volume is up all the way, so is the master volume but all I hear is cracking.

Edit: I got it to work, you can expect a video very soon.

12. TreeViper

TreeViper New Member

Assassin,

Thank You! :)

13. Assassin

Assassin Addict

The videos turn out really big. I tried shooting a couple of matches and the smallest I got was 3 files of 4Gb each which is 12Gb total. Uploading that would take a long time and I don't really have the means to lower the file size while still keeping the quality.

14. InsaneNutter

Assassin, if you have Windows Vista (not sure about XP) you can import many different file types in to Windows Movie Maker then simply export the movie and you will be given a variety of different resolutions to encode in. If you pick 720p that’s the most common HD resolution TV’s support so would be perfect for the movie, it should dramatically reduce the file size too.

[​IMG]

Alternatively you could look at this guide I created here and use Auto GK: https://digiex.net/guides-tutorials...-remove-commercials-using-freeware-tools.html. The guide is not exactly relevant but scroll down to the bit where I’m talking about Auto GK. You could use a target percentage quality of 75% then in advanced settings try a fixed width of 1280 to keep the video resolution HD.

I’m not 100% sure if an Auto GK encode will be HD quality, in theory it will with the settings above.

15. Assassin

Assassin Addict

I use XP and apparently Windows Movie Maker for XP can't do HD. I'll try your Auto GK guide now. I'll let you know if it worked.

Edit: It doesn't work, I keep getting the same error:
    Avisynth open failure:
    Convert To YV12: Interlaced image height must be multiple of 4

16. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Alright this is the best I could do:
    Click!

Enjoy!
    If anyone has any requests if they want to see a specific part of the beta just tell me and I'll put it into a video.

InsaneNutter likes this.
  17. InsaneNutter

Good work there Assassin, I think that turned out quite well :D
    The guy you were against was quick, I’m going to have to train up on Ra2 before Ra3 is out.

18. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Some of those guys are ridiculous, you haven't built half your base and they're already coming in with a full army. Something I see quite often though which I think is very cheap is that at the beginning of the game just when you have built your barracks your enemy will send a dog, bear or panda in and put it right in front of your barracks so every time you build a unit it gets killed immediately.

19. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

The Red Alert 3 beta forum has 75 almost 76 thousand views. That's VERY good. :D

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  20. Morlon

Morlon Member

It would be really cool if you could make gameplay videos for the other factions too ^^. I would highly appreciate that.