Roku 2 XS Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by xzKinGzxBuRnzx, Jan 4, 2013.

1. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

roku_logo_l.jpg

What is Roku?
    Roku is a stream player for your TV. It allows you to stream content such as Netflix, Hulu, Plex and much more! Link

Pros:
    • Has tons of channels.
    • Small and power efficient design.
    • Bluetooth remote (with accelerometer for game play)
    • Has a iOS remote app!
    • Can do some games (Angry Birds and more!).

Cons:
    • Doesn't have the best UI (User Interface) in the market
    • Doesn't support many files types (although its probably more than Apple TV)

A friend of mine introduced me to the Roku. It seemed nice and feature packed. Shortly later I purchased one...Now It was extremely cheap, probably 30$ less than Apple TV. This device is extremely powerful with the power to play any of my content over Wi-Fi without a single bit of buffering and its remote control! I LOVE how the remote control uses bluetooth Most remotes use RF signals I do believe, which means you need to be pointing it directly at the device. This just simply doesn't work when your sitting to the side of the TV and device. You will find yourself leaning over to try and change the channel or under low battery conditions you may even have to get up and stand practically right in next to it just to change a channel. Which defeats the purpose of a remote if you ask me.

I installed Plex onto my Roku 2 XS and set it to use 20mb for transcoding to provide me with the best possible quality and even though its running over Wi-Fi. It still doesn't buffer. :D

Another amazing thing is the channels! There is just so many that Apple TV really is no comparison. It's like buying a Windows Phone when you know there isn't that many apps. iOS has so many though you could never go through them all.

By far the most amazing thing I've seen on Roku yet is that it has the Tunein app. As I'm always streaming Music One and Tunein is the best way to do that! Its iOS/Android client even has recording support! Now I have a great way to play the best Music I've ever heard on my TV! :D

The biggest problem I have with it is the UI simply isn't as sexy as the Apple TV is. Of course though this really doesn't matter. Your buying a device to deliver content to your TV, not look pretty and yes it also seems to have limited file type support when playing through USB. Not a problem for me however as Plex is the ultimate Media Server.

If you're looking for a device to deliver content to your TV and loads of it then Roku is for you! Forget that expensive Apple TV with limited channels.

Attached Files:

InsaneNutter and Rick like this.
  2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Is the Roku an Android based box? given that you can install apps and games on it?

Never heard of it before however it does look pretty good, and more useful than an apple TV thats not jailbroken.

3. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

Honestly I'm not quite sure. I'm thinking that it is. Though all its games / apps come from the Roku store.