Should I get a PS3 in 2013

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by H4CKS0RZZ, Jan 12, 2013.

1. H4CKS0RZZ

H4CKS0RZZ Resident

Hey everyone!

Im looking to buy a PS3 but is it a good idea to buy one in 2013?

Im mainly going to buy it as a very 'schmancy' blu ray player and media center but I am also extremely curious to try out some of those PS3 exclusives.But lets face it, no matter how much i convice my self i will always it as a gaming console as well as a media center.

But is it a good idea to get one in 2013 with Next-Gen looming round the corner, my only hope it that sony look after it as well as they did with the ps2

I also am split between spending my money. You see I now need to choose which is more of a priority, a Chromebook or a PS3? HELP GUYS

(I already own a PC, Laptop, XBOX and an iPhone)

2. AntiNaz

AntiNaz Addict

If I was in your position, I would NOT get a PS3. The new consoles are just around the corner. Buying one now wouldn't be the best if you can't "waste" money. I would wait until they are released and then buy the best, newest thing.

Just my opinion on it.

3. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

I agree with AntiNaz. Save your money and wait. It is your best bet.

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

The PS3 is not even a good media center, you will still have to transcode most media for it to be able to play them (unless jailbroken, which i dont believe the newer slim consoles can be), where as a £25ish Raspberry pi will happily play your 1080p MKV's.

Its an expensive Blu-ray player (but good) however i found only a couple of exclusives were worth playing, my £60 PS3 has been collecting dust for the last year sadly. Despite it been so cheap i still kinda feel i wasted money on it.

I would agree with Naz and King, the next gen consoles will be announced at E3 this year, and out by November / December.

Buy a Raspberry pi to tinker with this year, then you have money to pre-order a next gen console.

5. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

If you primarily want it for Media usage, then PS3 isn't your best bet. Though if you are genuinely interested in the exclusives, it may be worth checking out. If you can find a PS3 that is 3.55 or under, I would say it would be well worth it as you can use it for Media, Exclusives and a few emulators as well (if you jailbreak it).

6. H4CKS0RZZ

H4CKS0RZZ Resident

Ok cheers everyone! I will stear clear for now and Nutter I will give the Raspberry Pi a try as I have always wanted to play around with one!(:

7. Michael_T

Michael_T Addict

Here is what i do :
    I'm banned from XBox Live.
    I use my Xbox 360 for Single player games & PS3 for online.

And PSN is much better now then in the old days however there is still no cross game chat.

8. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

To make PS3 a great media centre you'd need to hack it, otherwise you'd have to transcode MKV and whatnot to the PS3.

I wouldn't recommend anyone buying a PS3 or Xbox 360, at this stage, because it's really late and the new consoles shouldn't take too long to arrive now.

But if I had to, for the social gaming purpose, it'd be Xbox 360. Talking with gf/friends/etc on Party Chat while playing is a blast.

9. seanpr92

seanpr92 Godlike

ps3 also enforces ciniava protection for media,best ps3 perks id say is free online and the exclusives if ur into buying digital games they can be pricey £50 mark mass effect 3 is sstill £50 after nearly 1 year mark