Silly fears

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Haloman, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Haloman

Haloman Addict

Now we all have fears. Some are quite rational and wide spread such as the fear of snakes and spiders etc. But some times we are afraid of stuff that makes no sense what so ever such as the fear of buttons and bananas (seriously people are afraid of those)

In this thread I am giving people a chance to air these fears and get them of of thier chests. I will go first.

Whrn I was little the washing machine spin cycle used to scare me because I thoght the washing machine wasgoing to explode. But I can confim that I got over that fairly early in my child hood (I now even do the washing in my house lol)

But this is the erational fear that is still with me today. Now let me give you some background. I am a person that loves horror movies. I am quite happy watching people get torn apart, turning into werewolves, hell even satan doesn't scare me, yet the sceane in disneys pinochio scares the bejesus out of me. I seriously cant watch it. Whenever its on the telly I always switch it over or have to leave the room. I dont know why it freaks and scares me but it does.

I have posted the clip here (but I garentee you that I have not watched it)

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mypa-rmn5GE]YouTube - Scariest Scene In Film History EVER!![/ame]

Does anyone else have somthing that they are afraid of that they shouldn't or is it just me?

Let your mocking of me comence lol

2. BonezOz

BonezOz Addict

Sydney, Australia, the greatest city in the World
    Interesting. No fears here, except a full blown hatred of spiders and a bit of a fear of heights due to a fall I had when I was a kid. However my youngest who's 15 months old, has a serious fear of the vacuum cleaner, as soon as either my wife of I start it up she runs screaming from the room. It's actually quite funny to see.

Actually I lied, I do have a fully irrational fear, a fear of being within a large amount of water (think in ground swimming pool or larger). I love swimming and splashing around with the kids at the beach, but for some reason I cannot fully relax while in the water. My stomach clenches and I can't stay in for extended periods of time without anxiety kicking in. I believe this fear stems back to a period when I had gone canoeing with a group and when we went for a swim later I ended up getting caught in the faster moving water and needed assistance in getting back to shore.

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

When I was really young I was scared of the dark, I couldn’t go to sleep without some sort of light on :-$ I’ve long since grown out of that now.

4. Haloman

Haloman Addict

Both of those fears are among the big ones. Every kid is at some point scared of the dark (when I was little I always needed the hall light on) and fear of water (hydro Phobia) is a well founded and documented fear.

But I suppose an erational fear is only erational to the person with the fear. my other fear is that of snakes

5. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Now you mention it I would be horrified to come across a snake in the wild or a big spider like a tarantula, a normal house spider would be fine but a spider that big would honestly horrify me...

6. Haloman

Haloman Addict

Tarantulas are just creepy. I don't mind them so much when they're behind glass at a zoo but take them out and i am already halfway across the room. Its the same with snakes. I hate both of them

7. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

I still have to sleep with a light on :-$

8. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

I hate moths, used to be afraid of the dark and one silly fear I managed to get over (thankfully). Anyone remember a little "cute" alien from a film directed by Steven Spielberg? When I first saw the film I think I was 3 and it scared the bejeesus outta me. I think I first saw the scene where E.T is hiding in the cupboard, Drew Barrymore happens upon him and he extends his neck and makes that weird shouting noise. That's when I hid behind the couch. At the time I had seen nothing like it and it scared me senseless. I managed to get over it when my brother wouldn't hand me the remote and made me watch it. I finally realised there was nothing to be scared of and managed to watch it all the way through, praying that E.T would "phone home" :D

9. AntiNaz

AntiNaz Addict

Truthfully, I am not scared of anything anymore :| I used to be scared of spiders, the deep lake waters of British Columbia, all that stuff. Now, whenever I see a spider at school and all the girls are screaming about it, I just pick it up and put it outside, if it bites me, it bites me. Big deal! Whenever I go to a deep lake, I just dont think about all the "scary" stuff down there! Just don't look down :P Its that easy! Now, I became Batman! I taught myself to embrace my fears and use them to my advantage ;) That sounds SO corny, but it is the truth!

10. Haloman

Haloman Addict

That doesn't sound corny that just sounds cool :D

though I still cant watch Pinochio*-)