Social Networking, I'm not connected.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Spooks, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Spooks

Spooks Active Member

I'm "not connected", I've had many people say to me ..."you on facebook?" and when I reply "no" they look at me with a shocked expression and say something along the lines of "eh, you should be on it", "why not", "dude, you need to be on it, I want to add you to my friends list".

The reason I'm not on facebook is because I care about my personal details, I don't want my profile (name, picture) to be online for someone to potentially steal to use it for whatever reason, is there anyone on here who isn't on facebook like myself or am I the only one?

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Very interesting topic given how rapidly Facebook and social networks in general have grown over the last couple of years.

I am on Facebook, however i'm vary careful about what personal info i share on there and use the privacy settings. I also dont use any of the games / apps on there, its amazing just how much info some of the apps can extract from your profile just by clicking yes to installing.

Ive got my name, age, photo and hometown and were i went to uni on there. I dont have my address, phone number, where i work now or anything like that on. My friends list is set to only me too, so apps cant map every single person ive connected with on Facebook.

I guess i fall somewhere in the middle, i use Facebook and social networks, however am conscious about what I share and how much I share. I do find it a bit annoying how Facebook keeps bugging me to add certain bits of personal info on there.

3. Spooks

Spooks Active Member

A fraudster could potentially have a field day with social networking.

Let's say for example, someone has a facebook account and they don't change their privacy settings, a fraudster could save the victims picture, then the fraudster could look the victim up on indeed.co.uk to see if the victim has a CV online, although indeed does remove the home address and telephone number from the CV everything else in the CV is available for public viewing, information such as full work history, name of school they use to go to, activities/hobbies and more, then all the fraudster has to do is go to 192.com and see if the victim is listed in the telephone directory, if they are all the fraudster has to do is pay about £1 and they've got the victim's full address including postcode, telephone number and also the other people living at the address.

It's just amazing (and scary) how much information is potentially available to a fraudster.

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Unless "indeed" stores people photos it would be hard to link a CV to someone on Facebook, could be possible but it would depend what that person had shared on Facebook.

In general though with the Facebook mobile apps sharing peoples location by default, chances are when you get a message from someone you can find out exactly where that person is. So send a random message to someone and get a reply with big arrow back to where that person is at the moment, regardless of if you know the person or not

Something else that is easy to do is find out who lives at an address (presuming someone at the address in question has purchased something on credit anyway).

For example Google a random address on Google Maps, then enter the address in something like Quick Address Pro and you can find out who lives there. I just randomly done that and the first address I found had details of 3 people who live there.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• qas.jpg
      qas.jpg
      File size:
      198.1 KB
      Views: