Step by Step Guide to installing Plex on a NowTV Box

Discussion in 'Media Guides' started by Nimrod, Nov 9, 2013.

1. akariz

akariz New Member

1.watch Portuguses / Brazilian and UK channels
    2. yify hd movies
    3.icefilms

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

You want XBMC then. You can run XBMC on devices like the Amazon Fire TV and the Raspberry Pi.

3. deano73

deano73 New Member

hi everyone, in need of some help please.
    just received my now tv box and have been reading all the hints and tip of how to side load plex etc,
    being not very technical minded I'm getting very confused as to how to do it and what are the actual downloads I need, reading through the posts
    there appears to be several downloads but really unsure as to what to do.
    would someone be kind enough to provide me with an idiots guide to setting up and installing everything I need to get up and running.
    many thanks in advance
    Dean

4. arcanaheart3

arcanaheart3 New Member

Hi,
    I have just found this guide after being made aware of it by a colleague at work, and I was able to follow the instructions fine and without issue until.......the last point where on the "Development Application Installer" I chose the role from the downloads and clicked Install...but nothing happened???
    Is it because I'm using a Mac...???
    Do you have an alternate break for the Now TV box elsewhere???
    Hope to hear from you soon

5. Mikericecoffee

Mikericecoffee New Member

Need a little help please, I have entered the http etc and its asking me for user name and password to continue , any ideas please ??

6. InsaneNutter

Try rokudev for the username, leave the password blank.

7. matrixmark

matrixmark New Member

Is this the latest version of the zip available?

Cant seem to find any others. Just thought I would check.

Thanks for this though. Working perfectly.

EDIT: found this one that claims to be a newer version (2.8.2) Not sure if it actually is. Going to try it now.

I have attached to post. Hopefully it's allowed.

Attached Files:

8. InsaneNutter

Glad you got it working, can you confirm what you attached is a newer version and is working ok?

9. matrixmark

matrixmark New Member

Ya it was off some dudes video I found.

I virus scanned it etc and it all came back clean and have it running on my now box.

Everything seems fine so far.

It's newer than the version I had before. Not sure what the differences are though.

I got it from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTXciw1LAaU <-- he has a fair few subs and no one in the comments has mentioned anything untoward.

10. matrixmark

matrixmark New Member

11. tonycrew

tonycrew New Member

All is fine until I put the ip into my browser and all I get is webpage not available or connection has timed out,

Running Windows 10
    Tried with Chrome, IE and Firefox
    On BT infinity using BT Home Hub
    Forgot to mention i'm using a TP Link Wireless Homeplug

12. InsaneNutter

From what you say it appears you might possibly have devices on two network segments, which would mean certain devices cant talk to each other. What's the IP address of the PC you are using to to connect to the Now Tv Box and the actual Now TV Box's ip address?

13. InsaneNutter

You will be pleased to know you can basically follow this guide for the NowTV HD with a few minor differences, such as setting a password for the web interface. I created an updated version of this tutorial for the NowTV HD, see: Install Plex On The NowTV HD Box - Step By Step Guide

I found Plex 3.1.5 on the Plex GitHub when installing Plex on my NowTV HD, i dont know if it will work on the original NowTV, however if someone wishes to try: Download Plex 3.1.5 for NowTV.

14. petershelper1

petershelper1 New Member

Hi Nimrod, I have a NOW TV box that has model number 2400SK - Roku LT. I have downloaded the file suggested.

When I attempt to get to 'ENABLING DEVELOPER MODE' using the controller key moves suggested all that comes up for me is a 'CHANNEL INFO' list!

Is there some other controller key moves I should be using?:( ( I found out the if you do Home x3; Up x 2; L,R,L,R,L (instead of R,L,R,L,R) you get the 'CHANNEL INFO' list!)

Maybe I just can't do my finger moves quick enough!! If only my oldest son were her. His hands and fingers are not as shaky as mine. He play His PS3 regularly :D

Well, what do you know, I just thought I would give it another go and it brought up the ENABLE DEVELOPER MODE screen. Just to step through the rest and see how things go

15. InsaneNutter

Yo do need to be pretty quick to enable developer mode, glad you managed to do it in the end. You shouldn't have any problems after that.

16. hollieollo

hollieollo New Member

Nimrod,
    I have recently bought a Now TV box on eBay. I did this becasue my daughter-in-law recommended it. However, after a couple of weeks I am having countless problems with buffering issues, issues with HD channels, quality issues and today the service was not working at all. Has anybody else had a similar experience and have I thrown my money away?

Chris

17. InsaneNutter

Go to Speedtest.net by Ookla and see what your internet download speed is rated at.

At a guess i'd say your internet connection might not be fast enough to Stream content, however if the NowTV box is connected via wireless the signal might be quite weak where the NowTv box located, which can cause issues like your are describing.

If you have one of the newer NowTV HD boxes they have an Ethernet connection on the back of them, i'd recommend connecting it to your router directly instead of using wireless.

I got my Dad a NowTV HD box for Christmas, he watches loads of stuff on it without issue. His NowTV box is however connected via Ethernet and not wireless.