Suggestions for LAN gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by DoctorJones7961, Sep 14, 2008.

1. DoctorJones7961

DoctorJones7961 Member

Hey everyone, I was curious about different games that I could play through LAN with my friend at my house. Could you all suggest to me some games I could download through torrent that would be pretty fun to play. Considering I would have to download them I would guess I couldn't go online with it. I've heard of Enemy Territory and im considering that one because its free, but Team Fortress 2 looks to be my favorite, but I figure it wouldn't be any fun without the online portion of it. I dunno if there is a private server for the poor Team Fortress 2 players who either can't or don't want to buy 2 copies of the game. :P

Thanks in advance!
    ~Jones

2. Assassin

Assassin Addict

I don't think you can play TF2 without buying it. As for other games, Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is pretty cool, and a little different from all the shooters being played. Also the latest Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike and Battlefield seem to do it pretty well.

3. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

Command and Conquer is an essential ;)

The first two installments are free, the rest you can pick up in a bargain bin somewhere. Always fun to play :D

Though from RA2: Yuris Revenge and onwards, you need to buy two copies of the game to play LAN play.

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Age of Empires 3 is also a great game to play on a lan if you’re in to strategy games.

Any games in the Unreal Tournament series are also good, all of them support bots so you can have a game with as many people as you want on a lan and the bots can be used to make the team numbers up.

I would suggest Gears of War or Halo 2 for pc as well however these don’t support bots so won’t be much fun at all with 2 people on a lan.

5. Kitarii

Kitarii Resident

Any of the Age of Empires games would be good, yeah.
    Plus anything from Assassin's post.

6. Slaz

Slaz Roast as you make toast!

LAN play is not that different from online play, only that your game is played in your local network. So basically any game that is or was fun to play online will be good to play on LAN as well if you're with the right amount of friends for each game..

7. Grytolle

Grytolle Member

Jj2 is awesome! Play it

8. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

Does anyone think I'm a little biased when I say give UT2004 a try? I've been playing the game for almost 4 years now and my interest in it hasn't wained yet. It's one of the best games me and my mates ever play when we have a LAN. Oddly it's probably the only time I ever play the VCTF mode which I enjoy alot. Must have a match on our Digiex server some time, aint been on it for a while and I help pay toward the dam thing LOL.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  9. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

I agree UT 2004 is good because there’s loads of maps and game modes to keep you interested and the bots are more than good enough to make up the numbers where needed. It’s kind of old now but that’s good in a way as it should mean anyone's pc can play it these days.

Well except those with integrated graphics *Intel cough* even the Geforce 4 MX 440 played it better than most integrated stuff can manage ;) But if your remotely interested in pc games its unlikely you will have integrated graphics anyway (Y)

10. MikkelPixel

MikkelPixel Resident

system shock 2

11. Jack86

Jack86 Member

Online play is not near fun as LAN party, few times a year me and my buddies organize one, games are CS, Warcraft 3 and modes, CoD 2, Battlefield, some arcade races like NFS and obligatory Worms and PES.

12. George East

George East New Member

nfs underground via lan there lan option in game I try In gamezon in my city so Try it
    is very nice game and I love to play this game.most..

13. cardo69

cardo69 Addict

Warcraft 3 is an old game but still legend. Not sure if you can play without disk thou.

14. CurlySteve

CurlySteve Elite Member

Theme Hospital is great over lan

15. masterw

masterw New Member

You can if you install the latest patch.
    The Black Road and Dawn of the Dead maps are definitely worth a try.

Serious Sam is also a lot of fun even for only two players, since it has a coop mode.