Team XBMC says Farewell to Original Xbox

Discussion in 'News and Article Submission' started by InsaneNutter, May 29, 2010.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

[​IMG]

XBMC (XBMP really) started as a program for modified XBOX consoles. In the following years, XBMC has grown into a multi-platform, multi-architecture media center that runs on most standard hardware. The hardware and legal limitations of the XBOX were always a concern and the Team has instead focused on running on the hardware that most people already have.

The last official release for the XBOX by the XBMC team was Atlantis, over 18 months ago. Since then, one brave soul (Arnova) has been merging code from the main codebase into the XBOX branch in our repository. Because there were many users out there that took advantage of these updates, we had no problem with this.

But times have changed. The XBOX has hard limits for what it can handle. Some users are satisfied with these limits, and we encourage them to use XBMC there if they are happy. But it is a popular misconception that official XBOX development is still taking place by the team, so we have decided to set it free. We have enough on our plates already, and worrying about a deprecated platform just increases our workload. A few days ago the XBOX branch was finally removed from our subversion repository.

But loyal XBMC for XBOX users fear not! In addition to his role as an XBMC developer, Arnova plans to continue development on the XBOX -- just not here. You can find the new project's home at sourceforge. We're leaving it in his hands to decide how to handle the project's administration. How he manages the forum, bug tracker, scm, developers, etc. is up to him. In other words, don't complain to us ;-)

In order to help users to find relevant help and discussion, we will be making the XBOX section of our forum read-only on Monday, June 07. It may be moved in the future, but for now it will stay for reference. This also means the end of XBOX support in the wiki and IRC. Arnova has requested a snapshot of the wiki that he may host if he wishes as we begin to prune XBOX-specfic information from ours.

We wish Arnova and the project the best of luck as we bid a fond farewell to a big part of our past.

Source

Its sad to see the XBMC team officially end support for the Xbox, however still great to hear that a developer will continue to update the Xbox version.

I upgraded from the Xbox to an Acer Revo nettop running XBMC earlier this year, however both our modded Xbox's still get a lot of use even today.

2. MasterChief

MasterChief Addict

The XBMC team supported the Xbox far longer than Microsoft ever did, its a shame it won't officially be supported now. However its good XBMC for the Xbox is not totally dead.

I think the limits of the Xbox were reached a long time ago, I have also run XBMC Linux for some time so i can play HD and couldn't be more happy.

I still have old blacky (Xbox 1) around, it's used quite often by the family for watching SD content.

3. KillerWhiteMan

KillerWhiteMan Burnout Racer

I keep the old Xbox hooked up for those random urges to play old games from when I was younger. I wish all of the Xbox games were compatible on the 360, but since that's not the case, I'll have to keep playing them on the old huge block.

I agree with Master Chief's comment about the Xbox's limits being reached a long time ago. It's nothing compared to today's technology. You look at the 360 and PS3, which have been out for years now, and their potential has not even been fully tapped yet. It will be interesting to see what the systems will be capable of when they are fully tapped by developers.

4. AntiNaz

AntiNaz Addict

They already made 3D TV's, so I am positive they can improve the xbox by quite a bit... Or find something new about the xbox.

5. Scarface0415

Scarface0415 Banned

I wish i had a xbox just for the fun to play Halo 2 and Just Crime

6. lem_is_cool

lem_is_cool Resident

My girlfriend uses our old xbox upstairs in her sewing room with xbmc. If only the 360 or ps3 had a good version of it going on.