Trouble with VISTA...

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by ViperMM, Oct 3, 2009.

1. ViperMM

ViperMM New Member

I am having trouble loading up some games on my new laptop. I don't even get an error message. They just don't load at all and they work on the other PCs I have them on... I think it's vista because they work in se7en. I am just wondering if someone knows of a tweak to get them to work. I did some googling and found some patches, but to no avail. I am trying to play:
    GTA:SA
    Unreal Tournament
    Fable
    Diablo II
    Morrowind
    &
    Warcraft III

I got Diablo II working in a sandbox but I don't want to have to load up VMWARE every time I want to play it.

2. P.KID

P.KID Addict

M8 latop gpu's suck unless you buy a $1000+ laptop. From what your telling me you have a gpu thats too weak to run these games. Soz but thats the harsh reality bout laptops the gpus suck.

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

What graphics chipset has the laptop got? or tell us the make and model and we will try and find out.

Its most likely what P.Kid says though, the graphics chipset in most laptops are horrible when it comes to playing games.

4. ViperMM

ViperMM New Member

It has a Mobile Intel 965..... with 358 mb
    This doesn't make sense though bcuz my other lappy has an older onboard video and they work just fine.... and that lappy only has 128mb...
    EDIT: Also why would these games run fine in a virtualized environment???!!!!!???
    Another EDIT: I also tried running a few programs I compiled in XP that have nothing to do with a graphics card and they don't work either... WTF is there a compatibility mode for if it doesn't work!!!111!!!!!!

5. Titcher

Titcher Addict

You're screaming and all this. But no matter how much RAM they have, Intel Integrated Graphics suck badly. And also, maybe try manually installing the drivers? The current ones might be pretty generic.

6. ViperMM

ViperMM New Member

dell.....

So I talked to a hardware technician at dell. He took over my computer remotely and told me it was a software problem they want to charge me $129 to fix this problem......
    Damn.....

7. ronaldmonster

ronaldmonster Well-Known Member

Format your hard drive and install windows 7

8. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

Can you not read? People have been kind enough to tell you the most likely cause of your problem (your graphics card) and you seem to ignore them. Believe me when I say Intels graphics cards are the worst on the market, I should know, I have a Samsung NC10 and that can't even play UT2004! If you want to believe Dell that it's a software problem and waste $129 go ahead. Otherwise buy a better laptop suitable for gaming. This is a great website that tells you what you need: Notebookcheck: Notebook & Laptop Reviews and News In fact checkout this page and see what it says about your laptops graphics card: Notebookcheck: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (closest you're going to find to it anyway).

9. Titcher

Titcher Addict

Trebor is right. We've tried to help you but you've been ignoring us. Most of the people helping you are pretty qualified as well. I can personally assure you, your GPU is NOT good enough to run the games you've listed well. I have two systems with the very same GPU, and I've personally tried some of the games, and although they run, it's on low graphical settings and they still struggle.

Oh and the reasoning for the working in a virtualised environment, I did hint at it in my previous post. The difference is DRIVERS, there's a good chance your vista drivers are pretty generic where as in XP you're having to install them yourself so getting the newest ones.

10. paardje

paardje Addict

Vista + games = crappy! My tip: downgrade to XP! I never liked Vista anyways. I wanna buy a laptop later this year but WITHOUT Vista! Or wait till 7 comes out.