[UK] Ex-students – Still get student discount at retail shops, Apple & Spotify

Discussion in 'Guides and Tutorials' started by Nimrod, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

[UK] Ex-students – Still get student discount at various retail shops, Apple Store and half price Spotify Premium

Spotify50off.jpg

One of the great perks of being a student (besides the lifestyle…) was that you could get random discounts in most retail shops, as well as good discount on various online stores Including the Apple store and even get Spotify Premium for half price a month (£4.99 instead of £9.99). However to get most of this, you needed an NUS card which you had to purchase, and had to be renewed every year where it validated your student status with your University.

Well I only just noticed there is a new company on the block competing with NUS called Unidays. Unlike NUS, Unidays is free to sign up and offers the discount either via online stores via their website, or via an iOS/Android application which shows your discount eligibility and can be used in retail stores. It has all the big brands, including all the usual Fashion retailers that some students love, but more importantly for us techie people it has the all-important Spotify and Apple store discounts.

However more importantly, Unidays verifies you as a student by one simple means, email address. Most Universities (and some colleges) offer their previous students email for life as part of their Alumni service. See the connection here, you can use your lifetime student email address given by your university and sign up for Unidays and get access to all these student discounts again even though you finished University years ago!

Let’s do this…

Step 1: Get back into your Student Webmail

Figure out if you can login to your student email address. For me it was a case of Googling ‘University Name Webmail’ and logging in. If you don’t know your password, it’s worth googling your University Alumi webpage and confirming if they offer email for life. If they do (or even if they don’t) contact the Alumi office over email and ask if you can get access to your email account. No harm in asking and it’s worth it down the line.

Step 2: Sign up for Unidays

Browse to: https://www.myunidays.com/

Sign up for a free account using your University email and verifiy it with the link they send to it.

Step2 sign up.PNG

Once done, you should be verified:

step 2 verifiy.png

Step 3: Enjoy the discount

Get back to enjoying student discount both in-store and online!

For online, I’d recommend taking a look at the discounts for half price Spotify, 15% off Apple Products and 10% off Firebox, The Hut, Myprotein and more.

Step 3 Spotify.PNG Step 3 Apple.PNG

For instore, you need to download the Application for iOS or Android and it will act like an NUS card and give you up to 20% savings in many designer clothes stores.

Step 3 Instore.PNG

Misc:

Every year you need to re-verify your status like NUS. However all you need again is your email address so as far as I can see you can keep doing this every year for a long long time until they notice.

Be aware that Unidays is still relatively new, you will find the odd shops that may require an NUS card and not accept Unidays. In time this will likely get better as big brands like Apple now accept Unidays. Also be aware that as Unidays grows, they may start getting tighter on the student verification process and require more than an email. Who knows what the future holds.

Looking for more?

You can also get Half Price Amazon Prime, heavily discounted Office 365 and free Windows and other Microsoft software by following this guide:

[UK Students / Ex Students] Half price Amazon Prime, heavily discounted Office 365 and Free Windows Licenses
    (No Unidays account needed)

InsaneNutter likes this.
  2. MrNitvit

MrNitvit Resident

I have a email that my school provided me, however I'm in secondary school and not university. Would this still work?

3. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

Providing the email ends in .ac.uk then you are all set :)

4. 400nob

400nob Active Member

Just tried my college address ending .ac.uk and they declined it and requested proof. As I don't go there anymore this has made it tricky. Hopefully I can find a friend with an active Uni address