USB drives and Nintendo WiFi Connector

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by Assassin, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Assassin

Assassin Addict

A couple of months ago I got myself a new computer. When I got it I was surprised it didn't come with a floppy drive but with one of these:

[​IMG]

I installed Windows XP, and after installing I went to My Computer and found out H: was my hard drive. How did this happen? Apparently these fine devices make drives for all the slots on there. So I had C: to G: with devices I never used. The thing is, since there is also a USB slot on there it's the only one I use, but when I connected a USB device it would make another drive for it and not use one of the reserved drives. So J: became my USB drive. I have to format my HD, open my computer, pull out the cable of the thing, install windows and reconnect the cable to get my HD to be C: again. But still there were these drives I didn't use. I managed to turn them off through the control panel so those aren't bothering me anymore.

Along with the USB port on the front of my PC, I also have two in the back. Problem is, they don't always work like they should. Like with my iPod, sometimes it will get recognized, sometimes it won't. I can't connect it to the front USB drive because then it doesn't work so I have to hook it up to the back all the time.

I also have a Nintendo WiFi USB Connector for my Nintendo DS. But I can't get that to work at all. None of the USB slots work. I put it in there, windows recognizes a device. I run the installation program, it tells me to connect the USB connector, while it already is connected. Somehow I blame the drive that replaced the floppy drive for this, since I've been having more problems with that. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do or have similar problems?

2. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

Post a picture if you can, I'm not really forsure what you mean. Though i would suggest checking that all the cables are plugged up good. Then look in device manager and see if it's in there. Then make sure you have the newest driver for it.

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Assassin your not the only person to have problems with that card reader, I used to work at a place that built pc’s with these card readers in, when we installed windows we always unplugged them because it messed with the drive letters as you said. I remember a lot of customers used to phone up and complain about these card readers saying the front usb port didn’t work on them or wanting to know how to get there hard drive to be C:\ again. It’s honestly not the best bit of hardware ever built.

If you don’t use it i would unplug it and forget about it, you can go in to device manager and try un installing the drivers for the USB ports, then right clicking on your computers name at the top and clicking scan for new hardware, this should pick your usb ports up and re install the driver for them. Hopefully they should function again, i would just stick to using the USB ports built in to your motherboard and get a powered USB hub to go on your desk if you need easy access to some USB ports.

4. Assassin

Assassin Addict

I just disconnected it, but I still have the same problem. First I connected the WiFi stick to the top 2 USB ports and windows told me I should connect it to a high speeds USB 2.0 port for better performance. Then I tried installing and after a while I got an error the stick wasn't connected. So I switched it to the bottom 2 ports and now got a normal message telling me windows doesn't recognize the drive. So once again run install and now it gets stuck on this screen:

[​IMG]

I really wonder what's wrong here, since I never had any trouble on my old PC.

5. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Also this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That can't be normal can it?

6. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

I don't see anything wrong device manager. You should just follow insanes advice and remove it. Then plug it up to another USB port. You can try to find a newer driver, that might fix it. I don't you product info to attempt to search for it.

7. Assassin

Assassin Addict

You don't see anything wrong? I have 4 processors.. Also like I said, I did disconnect it.

8. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

Yeah, Q6600 QUAD, That means you have 4 cores in one processor. Which appears as 4 processors.

9. InsaneNutter

I don’t see anything wrong in your device manager, usually a yellow exclamation mark will appear next to a bit of hardware if it’s malfunctioning.

Have you managed to sort the problem out as I’ve noticed you have your Nintendo Wifi USB dongle working in another topic you posted.

10. Assassin

Assassin Addict

Yeah I got it to work. The thing with device manager is, it seems there are too many things in there. I have 4 USB ports, why so many controllers?

11. InsaneNutter

On most motherboards there are actually more usb connectors on the board then you’re probably using, these can be used for front USB ports depending on your case, card readers like you have or for extra back usb ports with an adaptor like this:

[​IMG]