Use the Nokia N95 / N95 8GB’s Internal GPS with TomTom

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by InsaneNutter, Jul 18, 2009.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Use the Nokia N95 / N95 8GB’s Internal GPS with TomTom

TomTom Navigator 6 for the Nokia N95 works perfectly with an external Bluetooth GPS receiver, however it doesn’t support the N95’s built in GPS.

You can however use the internal GPS with TomTom thanks to mobile phone hacking group BiNPDA, BiNPDA have come up with an application that can use the N95’s internal GPS and emulate a Bluetooth GPS reciver which TomTom can use.

How to Install:

1) Download the files needed and unzip them.

Now you need to install bt.sisx and GPSd.jar, ill assume you already know how how to install applications as you must already have TomTom on your phone. For anyone who doesn’t you can send bt.sisx and GPSd.jar to your phone via Bluetooth, when the phone revives the file it will ask you to install. You can also copy the files to the phones memory card and install using the file manager or Nokia PC suit.

2) Install bt.sisx, once installed run the application and it shold say Run it. “Device added” you can now un install this application as it’s no longer needed

3) Now install GPSd.jar

How to use:

You need to run the GPSd application, your phone will ask if you want to “Allow application GPSd to use positioning data” say yes to this, also say yes to “Allow application GPSd to use network and send or receive data”

[​IMG]

After a minute or so your phone should have worked out its Latitude and Longitude (your GPS position)

[​IMG]

After its done so keep GPSd running (Press hide) and load TomTom up.

[​IMG]

If TomTom asks you to switch your Bluetooth on say yes.

[​IMG]

Now press the left button (above the green answer call button)

Select 5. Change Preferences
    [​IMG]

On the next menu select 6. Next
    [​IMG]

Select 6. Next again
    [​IMG]

Select 6. Next again
    [​IMG]

On preferences pages 4 of 5 select Show GPS status
    [​IMG]

Now press left button to configure
    [​IMG]

Now select other Bluetooth GPS Receiver, a list of Bluetooth devices will appear. Find your N95’s GPS, it will be called BinPDA or something along them lines if you didn’t rename it.

[​IMG]

You should now have a GPS signal in TomTom, click done and use TomTom as you would.

Once TomTom is working with the N95’s internal gps you can switch Bluetooth off to save battery if you wish.

As you can see from the random screenshots below you should have a full GPS signal when driving most of the time.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Is it any good?

Yes, we have used it on a couple of long journeys to London and to random places in the North of the UK with no problems, when we have taken a wrong turn the phone has alerted us to this and got us back on the correct road. The GPS in the N95 appears to work fine with TomTom, keep your maps up to date and it will be as good as any real TomTom you can buy. A car charger for your phone is recommended for long journeys as using GPS all the time will drain the phone battery in 3 – 4 hours from a full charge.

Final notes:
    This should work with the Nokia N96 and other Nokia phones with GPS based on the Series 60 V3 Platform, although I’ve not been able to test this.

Attached Files:

P.KID, MasterChief, Trebor and 2 others like this.
  2. Safinn

Safinn Addict

Whe I bought the N95 tey gave a free years of gps so im guessing its not free but with this it's free and looks way better than the one built into the phone.

Thanks alot for this.

3. InsaneNutter

GPS is totally free to use, it’s the software you get charged for.

It’s probably the Nokia Maps you got free for a year, I think if you pay you can get voice navigation features like TomTom has on Nokia maps.

4. Safinn

Safinn Addict

What firmware on you N95 do you have InsaneNutter?

5. InsaneNutter

V 30.0.015 at the moment.

6. MasterChief

MasterChief Addict

I found your location on screenshot 2, I was bored :P is that where you live?

[​IMG]

7. InsaneNutter

Nope when I was thinking about doing this guide I purposely took all the screenshots in a different city ;)

I do remember us driving down that road though!

8. assim

assim New Member

GPS problem

hi there !
    I got a problem in the 2nd step. I waited for long and yet my phone din't work out it's latitude and longitude ?! could u pls show me what to do?

9. InsaneNutter

Are you inside when your doing this? if so thats why.
    The phone will not get a GPS signal though your house roof, go outside, make sure your phone has a clear view of the sky and wait. Sometimes it will only take 10-15 seconds, sometimes it will take over a minute.

When the phone is on your cars dashboard it should lock on to some satellites pretty quick ive found.

Also be sure to say yes to both of the questions GPSd asks when you load it up:
    “Allow application GPSd to use positioning data” and “Allow application GPSd to use network and send or receive data”.

10. assim

assim New Member

I did what u said but still not working *-) When i get to tools, connectivity, GPS data. A message pops out "searching for satellites" and then the phone shows some devices to conncet to among which is BiNPDA! what is this? When i select it, the devices show up after 10 seconds again ! Has this any relationship to the cell phone operator in my area? because when i try to install "nokia_maps_3.01_09wk44_b01_s60_3.1_lm_rom", i read this message on my phone "certificate error, contact your service supplier"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Plsssssssss your help !

11. assim

assim New Member

By the way I am in Morocco !

12. InsaneNutter

You needs to be running GPSd and have it locked on a satellite signal before loading TomTom.

In TomTom you then want to select BiNPDA, this is your N95's internal GPS as explained in the guide.