Virgin Media Launches 50mbit Service Today [UK]

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by InsaneNutter, Dec 15, 2008.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Virgin Media has unveiled its 50Mbps broadband service at a press briefing this morning.

It will be the fastest domestic connection available to UK web surfers. The XXL service will be priced at £52 per month with upload speeds capped to 1.75Mbit, increasing to 2.5Mbit in 2009.

According to a report in the FT, Virgin Media CEO Neil Berkett was quoted as saying "It will be premium-priced," at an investors conference in New York last week. "I see no reason to go in cheap" he added.

Link to the VM website

Not worth it in my opinion, if it was a free upgrade then yes who would say no? There going to traffic shape it anyway starting early next year and the thing I think needs upgrading is the upload speed, that will help out massively when hosting live games.

50mbit down, 1.75mbit up is not exactly a good ratio... still better than 768kbps but not a massive improvement. Will anyone be upgrading?

2. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

I'm perfectly happy with the 20Mbit service so I think I'll skip this XXL premium package. Can't see much use in it as I rarely download more than 3GB a day (that's the traffic shape limit on 20Mbit) and if I do hit the limit I can still download and play games well when reduced to 5Mbit speeds :D

3. MunkyMagikUK

MunkyMagikUK Digiex Blogger

Bloody hell! £52 is ridiculous, i could set up my own bloody connection for that! Definately won't be upgrading, not worth it at all imo.

4. Safinn

Safinn Addict

Bloody hell. I bet that is fast but I don't think many people will get it due to the price.. Still on my 2mb free connection.