What is Jazz Jackrabit 2?

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by z3ddrocksz, Oct 14, 2009.

1. z3ddrocksz

z3ddrocksz Resident

I've heard people on the forums talk about it and when I did a quick Google search I got : "Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is a platform game produced by Epic MegaGames, now known as Epic Games. It was released in 1998 for PCs running Windows, and later for Macintosh computers. It is the sequel to Jazz Jackrabbit." If that's what it is than why do you guys keep saying a game from 1998 is awesome?

-Nelson

2. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

Digiex was formed by two JJ2 players who met in JJ2. I took over hosting the internet server lists for JJ2 when Epic pulled support for it, with Epics support (they gave the domains and applications to do so) and thats what formed Digiex. Since then, its evolved a lot into many services, but thats what started it all ;)

By todays standards and with young gamers without a long history the game wouldnt seem much, but back then it was way ahead of its time in terms of a 2d platformer with online gaming (all the usual modes you expect in games, battle, ctf, etc) and a level editor and support for custom levels. Many digiex members have come across from JJ2 and thats why a lot of people here still list it as one of there favourite games.

3. Rustwick

Rustwick Resident

It's a childhood favourite for some users here. But by your logic, you will dislike/dismiss your favourite games released in the last couple of years 10 years from now?

Another point is that Unreal Tournament (released in 1999) is apparently more popular/better than Unreal Tournament 3, which came out 10 years later. According to Game Tracker, UT has over 700 active servers ands UT3 only has around 400. To sum it up, new doesn't necessarily mean better.

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

You should really give the game a try it’s been in the download centre for a couple of years now: https://digiex.net/games-downloads/16-jazz-jackrabbit-2-a.html

For me it was the online play, community and level editor that I loved.

The level editor really was easy to grasp the basics and make some pretty fun levels, yet it was good enough to add some really advanced features to your levels if you look the time to learn it.

4 people could play online from the same pc which was always great fun (you were lucky to have 1 pc in the house back then)

The internet was pretty new to me back then, so it was always fun talking to people from all over the world who played JJ2.

5. KillerWhiteMan

KillerWhiteMan Burnout Racer

I have been wanting to download this and see why it was so popular amongst our staff. It seems to be a huge favorite amongst many users.

6. redninja60

redninja60 New Member

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is pretty much summed up well by Nimrod. Before this site existed, I used to be a programmer, working on various community projects for the Game. The online community is at www.jazz2online.com. ~

7. chazzo125

chazzo125 New Member

There's a huge lot of fun to be had in JJ2! The game has great music, very inventive gameplay and levels, and a cool challenge level, making it tricky at times but never (well almost never!) impossible. It was way my favourite game when it came out and definitely ranks as an all-time classic! I play JJ2 to this day! :) :)

8. delhanh

delhanh PS3 Contributor

JJ2 was awesome, but i prefer JJ1 which was so epic when it came out that i remember that i use to love going to school, because they had it on the computers. We used to look for the secret areas, and fighting the mini-bosses using his bird form, although there was also apparently a lizard form that i never got :( it was so good that i grabbed the psp port of it which i still play, because it is purely awesome :)