What was your first smartphone?

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by InsaneNutter, Nov 10, 2013.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

My first smartphone was the Nokia Ngage QD which i got for my birthday in 2004. I personally thought it was a great phone, it could play 3D games such a Tomb Raider and Tony Hawks, its also the only phone i have ever owned with a proper d-pad.

So what was your first smart phone?

Here's my smartphone history which i posted on another forum a while go: Nokia Ngage QD (2004) > Nokia 6630 (2005) > Nokia N95 (2007) > HTC Desire (2010) > Galaxy Nexus (2012)

vwtjs6.jpg
    (A photo from 2012 of all my old phones)

• Nokia 6630 - Not a smart phone, however it was my first ever phone and in the above picture i found.
    • Nokia Ngage QD - My first smartphone, I thought a phone been able to play Tomb Raider in 3D was amazing at the time, this was back in 2004. My interest in smart phones had started.
    • Nokia 6630 - This phone could play a lot of Ngage games, supported 3g and had a camera.
    • Nokia N95 - I think the N95 was really ahead of its time, the camera was fantastic on it. It wasn't until the iPhone 4 Apple finally had a camera in the iPhone which was as good as / better than the N95. The N95 supported HSPA and made a great Wi-fi hotspot. Nokia maps was also really good at the time and the GPS functionality worked great. The official TomTom app was also very useful.
    • HTC Desire - The phone which finally got me to upgrade from the N95, could do everything my N95 could, but better. I think the camera was almost as good as the N95, however recorded much better video.
    • Galaxy Nexus - 720p screen, 1080p video recording and the first phone to run Android 4.0. Stock Android was finally nice and i wanted in on the action!

2. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

I think you'll find that's a Nokia 3210 InsaneNutter. I know as I sold it to you for about £10 when I had another phone :P Played Snake on that until it filled the whole screen lol. As for my first smartphone that'd have to be the Nokia N95. I did really fancy the Nokia 6630 and my Brother had one at the time but I couldn't afford it back then alas. I was very impressed with the N95 ever since InsaneNutter showed me his and what it could do and I had it for about 3 years before Nimrod convinced me to buy an iPhone. Now I own a Samsung Galaxy S3 after getting tired of my iPhone and wanting something different O/S wise.

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Yup thats the phone and you did sell it me for £10, 10 years ago! Good memory there lol. I think it still works too, just doesn't hold any charge now.

The N95 was Nokia's last good Symbian phone i think, after that they tried to adapt Symbian for touch screen devices and did pretty bad with the N97.

Although I don't like any of Nokia's Windows Phone devices its nice to see them doing ok again with phones, I have secretly always wanted a Nokia phone with Android, sadly that's never going to happen now lol.

4. Stealth Geek

Stealth Geek Your Dad

HTC Droid Incredible

5. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

I'm still using my Nokia N73 from 2007, some parts of it are broken but overall it still works so I won't bother to buy a new phone because I hate touch-screen based phones anyway.

If I were to buy one it'd need to come with a stylus pen.

6. jessenic

jessenic Minecraft Guy

My first smartphone was a Nokia N81. My first phone was a Nokia 3310, second was Nokia 3510i. I don't remember where I have put those two so they are not in the picture below.

In the picture:
    Nokia 7250 with its covers, Nokia N81, Samsung Omnia 7 and my current phone - Samsung ATIV S.

Sorry for the poor quality, it was taken with my Samsung Galaxy S which I use for testing android stuff ;P

Attached Files:

7. MasterChief

MasterChief Addict

Interesting to read so many people had / have Nokia's. I think everyone of a certain age had one growing up, lots of people, myself included had the Nokia 3210 or 3310 in school. Strange to think you hardly see Nokia smart phones any more, its all Apple, Samsung and HTC now.

I think my first smart phone was the Nokia N73 which i flashed the firmware on to convert it to the N73 music edition and remove the network branding, i then had an iPhone, now currently have a Nexus 5.

Thinking about it flashing my N73 might have been how i found Digiex... edit - i thought Digiex had a guide for that - Convert your N73 to the N73 Music Edition and De-brand It

8. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

My first and still current smartphone is the HTC One. I started out pretty late. Though it's already rooted and running Trickdroid 4.3.

9. spirosronto

spirosronto Member

A crappy zte racer :/.

10. MasterChief

MasterChief Addict

Everyone has to start somewhere. You could learn a lot by hacking it and flashing custom roms :)

11. bwat47

bwat47 Member

Samsung Galaxy S2. I held out on getting one for quite a while.

12. spirosronto

spirosronto Member

Well yeah that's totally true.That was my first smartphone where I also started flashing custom roms and modding the hell out of it. In the end it was worth it for it's price :).

13. cheapesogold

cheapesogold New Member

I held out on getting one for quite a while.But i want to say you can come to cheapeso.