Windows 7 question

Discussion in 'Computer and Gadget Help Center' started by Dark Scyth, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Have a question about upgrading from Vista to Win 7. When you upgrade and you choose Custom (advanced) will it delete all of your files like videos, music anything like that. As there is a laptop that is in need of fixing and they really would like to keep their data. I can't access Vista on their PC because they get a log in error and even in safe mode its not possible to log in, I believe I know how I can fix that error but if not I would like to know if doing a Custom (advanced) install will keep the files. I would just use the upgrade feature but I can't do this because it says to load up Vista first and then do the upgrade and I can't access Vista at all, all I can do it get it to load from disc.

2. delhanh

delhanh PS3 Contributor

i would recomend using ubuntu live cd to access the files, then copy then to a portable hdd, as this is what i did when my computer crashed :)
    i sorry but i cant answer your original question, as im using vista and not 7 :)

Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu

Dark Scyth likes this.
  3. jessenic

jessenic Minecraft Guy

Custom mode just moves old files to c:\windows.old so it doesn't delete anything.

Dark Scyth likes this.
  4. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

I thought that was all that it did but couldn't remember and wanted to be completely sure. I also forgot about the option of using Ubuntu which is indeed an awesome option.

5. alexlloyd54

alexlloyd54 New Member

I once run into something similar to this scenario, at that time I didn't have a mini (WinPE) which i have now, to be able to boot and copy my files and documents to a save place

What i did was a (not so quick & dirty way) was that I took the drive out of the PC, connect it to another PC as a secondary drive and then extracted all my files :(

you should always have a bootable CD or even a USB with some sort of (Mini System) for this kind of situations.

6. Lance

Lance New Member

I think when I install the win 7 from starting then all the files will be deleted. If we upgrade the windows then it will not be deleted our files. It just upgrade only.

7. jessenic

jessenic Minecraft Guy

Custom mode is not deleting anything if you choose to not format your hdd. It moves your old files to C:\Windows.old as I said earlier.