Windows 8 - will you be upgrading?

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by InsaneNutter, Aug 24, 2012.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Having used Windows 8 for a while now, im curious if other members plan on upgrading or sticking with Windows 7?

I'm still undecided myself if im honest, ive kind of got used to it on my PC, however i still dont find it that appealing.

The massive gap between the Metro UI and the Desktop is still annoying, for a desktop PC it still feels like Metro is just forced over the desktop. From what i gather too there is no way for Desktop apps to communicate with the Metro start screen e.g. my desktop email app can not display anything of use on the Metro start screen. E.g. unread email's.

To me also the entire start screen looks one huge mess once you start getting loads of different colour tiles on it, it would be nice if you could choose the colours... i like things to look clean / tidy personally.

Just wondering how people are finding it now the 90 day trial of the RTM build has been out a while.

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Addict

I'm staying on Mac for now.
    If this one will break down, then i will buy a "normal" PC & put Ubuntu on it.
    Ubuntu is almost the same then Mac OSX.

3. P.KID

P.KID Addict

Windows 7 on my desktop as windows 8 seems not practical at all. Windows 8 on my netbook as it seems to run a hell lot faster and smoother. I know that I cant use the apps on my netbook so i dowload the automatic update live tile apps such as 'BBC news mobile' then just view the major news without clicking on the actual app itself.

4. Neoteam1

Neoteam1 Addict

Ill still be using it. Iv got it on my pc now. Think ill just be using it for internet and gaming. It dont look wright to use other things on it like office.

5. Rick

Rick Moderator

I probably won't upgrade. Microsoft for some reason thinks its ok to force metro on users when they are used to the start menu for so long. At this point i'm still confused on how to shutdown windows 8 a different way lol, most of the time i used ctrl + alt + delete and use the shutdown option. There should be at least an option to use metro or not.

I currently dual-boot ubuntu 12.04 & windows 7.

6. MasterChief

MasterChief Addict

That really bugs me too, on Windows 7 i just hit Start > Sleep with the mouse and the PC sleeps. To do it correctly in Windows 8 you have to move the mouse over the right screen, move it about without moving too far off the edge and click random menus to find sleep / shutdown.. or CTRL + ALT + DEL as you say.

Its the little things like that which bug me a lot from the point of a PC user, its not that i cant adapt to change, i just feel the change been offered here is a lot less inefficient and disruptive.

7. Neoteam1

Neoteam1 Addict

Missed abit out You go to the right. Wait for menu to pop out sideways. Go to the gear looking icon then click on power then shutdown.

8. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

Mountain Lion! :) Silly Windows 8, I shall never upgrade!

9. Im staying with windows 7 it lets you get more done and i just prefer it on my desktops and laptops plus i like the start menu and its easier to find things but if i ever got a windows tablet such as the surface i would prefer windows 8

10. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

There is a small difference between Windows 7 and 8 that being on Windows 8 allows you to sometimes push out a few more frames on games (for the most part) but other than that it's about the same besides 8 being a pain in the ass to navigate. Definitely not worth the upgrade in my opinion.

11. Trebor

Trebor Dolphin Fan

When's Windows 9 coming out? :D I have used the release candidate and wasn't very impressed with the Metro UI as a desktop environment. I can see it being useful for tablets and Phones with touch screens etc. Sticking with Win 7 for now.

12. Mr.Needlemouse

Mr.Needlemouse Resident

a virus on my computer forced me to start "a new beginning"
    now I installed windows 7 and well ,I dont like it....
    if windows 8 is worse,then I dont know.
    how about mac or linux?

13. InsaneNutter

What dont you like about Windows 7? that is like the modern day Windows XP to be honest.

You can also not pin / group icons on the start bar if you wish, meaning it will function almost the same as XP:

[​IMG]

But yes if you dont like Windows 7, then Windows 8 will be an even bigger shock to the system i imagine.

14. SimonSaysWin

SimonSaysWin Member

Well I hated Windows 8 when I tried it...so I'm going to stick with Windows 7 and LinuxMint (MATE) :)

15. Rockman

Rockman Godlike

I will be within time.

Hm, no it isn't. You're like, comparing apples to oranges.

16. InsaneNutter

I got a legit copy off a friend from Dreamspark Premium, if you / a friend have access its possible to get two keys. You get a different key for both the 32bit and 64bit downloads on there.

The keys are also interchangeable (just like with Vista / 7) so you can use the key from the 32bit version to activate another 64bit copy.

In the end I have dual booted with Windows 7 as I don't want to get rid of my Windows 7 install at this time.

Windows 7 is on a 120gb SSD
    Windows 8 is on a 120gb SSD
    Both OS's share a 500gb hard drive for data / documents, thats working quite well at the moment except for Windows 7 wanting to run scandisk after Windows 8 has saved data on the 500gig drive.

Now i just need Virgin media to sort my connection out so i can update / setup my windows 8 install, 3g data limits suck!

Attached Files:

• act.png
      act.png
      File size:
      43.8 KB
      Views:
  17. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Now that i've gotten more used to Windows 8. I know if I right click on an AVI video while i'm on the dashboard. It will give me the option play to Xbox 360 (If smartglass is enabled). What makes this feature so good though, is that the PC is not the tool for playback. It streams it to the Xbox and then the Xbox is what transcodes it, leaving the strain off the PCs CPU. Since i'm still running on a really low end PC (Hoping to change this next week or so) it enables me to still use the PC if I am streaming something to the Xbox 360.

InsaneNutter likes this.
  18. InsaneNutter

Now that's pretty handy to know! it makes sense the 360 should do any transcoding as its more than powerful enough. Great for people who want to stream from older / low powered devices.

19. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Yeah, it's been pretty handy (for the past few hours that i've known about it). It also plays every AVI video i've tried so far without any video errors. Trying from a flashdrive using the same videos, some wouldn't play and the video would blotch every once and awhile, though I've yet to get this effect from Smartglass. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to play MKV which is a big disappointment.

20. seanpr92

seanpr92 Godlike

windows 8 deactivates upon hardware changes,just found this out it deactivates upon a significant hardware change EG new cpu gpu ram pci hard drive