Winrar compression Help

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by BlackTitan666, Sep 8, 2010.

1. BlackTitan666

BlackTitan666 Elite Member

OK the problem I'm having is that it tried to compress a file twice, but the file just stays the same size could some tell me what I'm doing wrong. Also the compression method I'm using best.:-$

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

You are not doing anything wrong, you just can not keep re-compressing a file to reduce the size of it, there is a limit to how small you can get a file.

For example if you had a image with 1000 identical red pixels in it, when you compress that image only 1 red pixel would be saved along with code saying where abouts that red pixel should go in the image to make up the full image.

You could try compressing the file with 7zip, that is supposed to offer slightly better compression, however I don't think you will get the file much smaller than you already have with WinRAR's best compression.

3. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Also compressing files over and over is a good way to corrupt them, so be careful when doing things like that.

BlackTitan666 likes this.
  4. BlackTitan666

BlackTitan666 Elite Member

Sorry I don't mean I compressed the file more then once, I mean tried to compress the original 2 different time but the file size didn't get smaller it stayed the same size as the original.

Also which is better a compression ratio with a higher number or a lower number?

5. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Some files are already as compressed as they are going to get, raring them up will do nothing to reduce the size.

You are not doing anything wrong dont worry.

BlackTitan666 likes this.
  6. Jourdan Cameron

Jourdan Cameron Resident

Yeah, as said above, repeated compression won't help you.