Xbox hacks?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AntiNaz, Jun 9, 2012.

1. AntiNaz

AntiNaz Addict

So after having that ordeal with my Xbox, it made me wonder... If they have an update that can reflash your Xbox, isn't it possible to make a hack that flashes it via USB?

I might sound stupid, but if I downloaded that update onto a USB and it reflashed my drive to stock settings isn't it possible that a good hacker/modder/anonymous leader can find a way to do this?

This is all mostly theoretical but if you think about it really hard and long, wouldn't it be possible some how?

Thanks,

NK

2. Rick

Rick Moderator

Microsoft would have to make an update but i don't think they would. Maybe in the upcoming months they might know how to patch flashed drives and ban consoles. This would result in people eventually buying more consoles.

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Anything that runs on a normal non hacked Xbox 360 has to be signed by a a private key that only Microsoft has.

They are hacks to run unsigned code on the 360, the Jtag hack and RGH hack, however both of those need hardware modifications.

Nothing is impossible, however the 360 has been out since 2005 and no one has release any software only mod, like the softmods we have seen on the Xbox 1.

4. AntiNaz

AntiNaz Addict

But... Say an insider HAD that key... Could it be used to create mass hacking and modding?

5. Lewie4

Lewie4 Resident

Sure they could but only a very few people will have access to that and will lose their jobs and most probably get sued if it got out.

6. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

If we did have the private keys, the 360 would be wide open. It would more or less be open source. You could pretty much then make anything on a retail console. That being said, I doubt that it'll happen, ever.