Xbox Live Over 3g

Discussion in 'Computer and Technology Discussion' started by cardo69, Dec 22, 2008.

1. cardo69

cardo69 Addict

(6)Is it possible to connect x box live using a 3g data card?? or does 1 have to use the ethernet cable??:'(:'(:'(

2. xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx The Feature Man

You must have a ethernet cord plugged up. Though if you have a 360 wireless adapter and your near one of those new at&t wireless things, you could connect to that.

3. Safinn

Safinn Addict

4. cardo69

cardo69 Addict

But i've got the ethernet cable, im abit very new to these things, so what do i do with the ethernet cable?? does that plug directly into my pc?? or does that plug into a telephone line to go onto x box live?

5. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Yes you can connect to Xbox Live using a 3g data card, you need to connect to the internet using the 3g data card on your pc then use Internet Connection Sharing to share the internet to the Xbox using the Ethernet cable.

6. cardo69

cardo69 Addict

perfect!!! Thanks so much!!!!

7. InsaneNutter

I’ve attached an image of how to share the internet connection in Vista, if you’re on XP it’s the same Idea the menu’s will just look a bit different.

Good Luck! :)

Attached Files:

8. cardo69

cardo69 Addict

ok, now i just need to find out, i have never used the ethernet cable before in my life, all i do is have my pc on, and my xbox at the same time, then i link the 2 with the cable, and will it autorun on my pc, like as if you plugging in a usb or something??

9. InsaneNutter

Nope it will not auto run, basically connect the Ethernet cable to the pc’s Ethernet port and then to the Xbox’s Ethernet port and connect to the internet using the 3g modem, you then need to share the internet like in the image i posted up, after you have shared it you might need to re start the Xbox but after it should be able to sign on to live.

10. cardo69

cardo69 Addict

and to view all other things on my pc, such as videos, music and pics, will the ethernet cable work some what like a usb connection to my x box from the pc?

11. InsaneNutter

You need to share the media on your pc using Windows Media Player or another compatible program, once your xbox is connected to your pc if you go to the video section on the dash you should see your pc’s name there and be able to view any media it has shared.

Look at the example attached for how to share media using Windows Media Player.

Attached Files:

12. cardo69

cardo69 Addict

But now im having abit of a problem, i've succesfully linked my pc to my x box (via ethernet), and now even when its not linked, my pc name stays there, but when i try linking my laptop, it does not pick up my laptop or laptop name, just my pc name that stays there (shaded grey)? do i have to de link it from my pc before attempting any other connections?

13. InsaneNutter

Are you using the NXE? If you go to Music, Video and Pictures on the console it should remember the last console it was connected it but list other computers below that are sharing media.

Is the laptop sharing media and have any firewalls turned off? I presume windows recognises the Ethernet connection between the laptop and 360?

14. cardo69

cardo69 Addict

It does recognise the connection between the 2, but i havent checked my firewall settings, ill be sure to do that, aswell as i realised abit late that i was still running windows media 9 on that laptop, i think i need to update that, then ill give it a try again! thanks again for all your help!

15. cardo69

cardo69 Addict

oh and yes, it is NXE.