Xbox One Mandatory Internet Connection Details Revealed

Discussion in 'Gaming Hangout' started by luckyvic, Jun 7, 2013.

1. luckyvic

luckyvic Addict

Source: Xbox One Mandatory Internet Connection Requriments

I'm in no hurry to buy a Xbox One, I usually wait a year or two (money is a big issue), but Microsoft is shooting themselves in the head.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  2. oO Flowzilla Oo

oO Flowzilla Oo Addict

They're becoming obsessed with the TV... And I wouldn't be surprised if later on they charged a quarter for everytime you press the trigger button. Too many restrictions is also a problem. Right now, Sony is leading the next-gen console war.

3. luckyvic

luckyvic Addict

Yeah, have to agree. They are making a big mistake. I still have plenty of Xbox 360 games yet to buy/play, I will be busy for a year or two.

4. Neoteam1

Neoteam1 Addict

Why do I want to stream tv on my xbox when I have 2 sky boxes. Internet nextflix and lovefilm. What a waste of time.

5. MasterChief

MasterChief Addict

Wow i cant believe this is actually seen as a good idea :\

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  6. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

The frequency the console has to talk with Microsoft is way too extreme. We might live in a connected world, however i know my internet has been down for a couple of days, once earlier this year when i needed a new modem. I played on my Xbox more then, if that happens in the future the console will be useless for gaming...

I honestly don't think Microsoft are prepared for the backlash this is going to cause. I know PC gaming is like this already, however with services like Steam you can leave it in offline mode for months at a time if you wish to.

This gen with the 360 i've usually agreed with the decisions made my Microsoft, with the next gen i don't think the Xbox One is going to have an easy ride against the PS4.

7. MasterChief

MasterChief Addict

All Sony has to do at E3 to win the next-gen war, is walk onto stage, no games, no controller, no nothing.

And just state, PS4 will work just like the PS3 and just like the PS2 did, same offline, same online, same used or new.

Have a nice day, see you this holiday with lots of games to buy, new or used, in any country, stable or unstable 'net.

Rick and InsaneNutter like this.
  8. luckyvic

luckyvic Addict

I play online with my profile, but no multiplayer stuff. But my son plays offline with his profile. This crap that Microsoft is doing is stupid and will not go over well. Anybody know what other gamers' or Xbox forums are saying about this? Is Microsoft paying any attention?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  9. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Nope, there was enough outcry when it was rumoured, i dont think people really expected them to go through with it in all honesty.

From what i've said the general conscientious is people dont like it, and a lot are questioning if its really worth purchasing the console. There's no much negativity towards the Xbox One now.

10. Rick

Rick Moderator

This won't work out well for Microsoft. Can't play games because your internet is down or the server is down is ridiculous. Maybe someone will hack it within a few months of release.
    They have eliminated the large group of people that play games offline.

11. luckyvic

luckyvic Addict

NEW YORK (ap) — Microsoft's upcoming Xbox One gaming console will be able to play used games, clearing up a worry among gamers and video game retailers such as GameStop, which trade in used games.
    That means video games discs users buy will not be limited to one Xbox One device, and players can share or trade in the games they have bought for other used games, just as they have been able to do in the past.
    Microsoft Corp. said in a blog post Thursday that it will not charge a fee to retailers, publishers or gamers for transferring their old games.
    The Xbox One, which goes on sale later this year, will need to be connected online at least once every 24 hours to work. Some players had been concerned that the console was going to require a constant Internet connection.
    Users will be able to access their games from other consoles through an online library after installing them on their primary device, but they will need to connect to the Internet at least every hour. They will be able to watch live TV and Blu-ray and DVD movies on the Xbox One without an Internet connection, Microsoft said.
    Microsoft will give more details about the Xbox One next week at the E3 video game conference in Los Angeles.
    Shares of Microsoft rose 51 cents to $35.47 in late morning trading. GameStop Corp.'s shares rose $2.40, or 6.9 percent, to $37.02. The stock has traded in the 52-week range of $15.32 and $39.87.
    __
    Online: Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing and Privacy Features

12. MDashK

MDashK Member

I think this is pure stupidity on Microsoft's part. Not all people have an active internet connection. There are a lot of countries that still have a large part of the population without Internet access, and I'm not talking about undeveloped countries only. Take where I'm in for instance: you have a lot of offer in the Internet market, from ADSL, Cable, Fibre, etc, etc... Yet, some people simply subscribe to the TV package or TV + Phone package and don't subscribe the internet part.
    This only means one thing: When a mother or father goes to the store to buy this console for it's child, the seller is going to say: "You wanna buy this console? You got to buy internet access as well." - And the mother/father is going to be like: What? I only want this to give to my son/daughter to play games! I don't want internet!
    Oh, right, assuming that the seller is going to have the desence of informing the client. Else, there's gonna be a lot of reclamations from the part of the clients that didn't knew this one coming...