360 powering up but no display

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by SkyeHawk, Nov 17, 2012.

1. SkyeHawk

SkyeHawk Member

Hi all.

I tried to update my kernel earlier today. When I finished I shutdown the 360 and pulled the cable out the back as I'd been advised in the tutorial I was using.

When I tried turning it back on five minutes later, it powered up, but there was no video signal or sound coming from the TV and the controller couldn't connect. I've tried switching power cables, but the lights on the PSU seem alright. It sounds like it's on (fan, etc.) but none of the lights on the front circle come on.

I've also tried connecting an freshly formatted FAT32 USB drive with my last working NAND (as updflash.bin) file in the root. Seeing as there's no video signal I can't guarantee anything's happening when I use the eject button to boot into Xell though.

I've tried using HDMI out as well as component (which I normally use). One time I tried I didn't connect the HDMI connectors properly so I got 4 red rings, meaning the 360 could detect that the video cables weren't properly connected. It's still showing up with no rings, but the power still on and nothing happening. I really don't understand what the problem is or how to resolve it as it seems that the 360 knows it's connected to my TV, but it just won't display anything or let my controller connect to it properly.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate the help. Have I screwed up the NAND? If so, how can I fix it? I'm going mad here!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

It sounds like you have built a bad nand image, the 360 will power on and do nothing.

The only fix it to open the 360 up and solder a USB nand flasher to the consoles motherboard, then re flash the nand using a PC.

3. SkyeHawk

SkyeHawk Member

Jeez. I don't have the capabilities to do that, nor anyone I know in Japan who'd be able to do it for me. Anyone reliable on the forum who I could send it to for a fix?

4. InsaneNutter

Darkfib3r is reliable, he's on Twitter a lot more than he is here.
    Although the cost of sending the console half way across the world to get fixed would just not be worth it, especially if you get hit with customs too.

Who hacked the console in the first place? thats where i would start.

5. SkyeHawk

SkyeHawk Member

Had it sent over from the UK originally. Postage to and from UK/US/AUS seems about the same. There isn't any modding scene to speak of in Japan. I've contacted the guy who modded it originally, but I'll try contacting Darkfib3r too. I can't really "at" him on Twitter as my job'd make it a bit awkward for me to publicly tweet about activities involving 360 modding, so I'll have to rely on a PM!

Thanks for the help :)

6. InsaneNutter

Nothing to stop you creating another Twitter account? however his blog is also here: Services « DARKFiB3R
    He is active on a few others forums i'm on so, i usually seeing doing mods / repairs so hopefully he will have time to help you out.

Good luck :)