Adding Larger Harddrive to softmod Original Xbox. Help.

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by BlockABoots, Aug 21, 2015.

1. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Elite Member

Have just soft modded my crystal xbox and want to add a larger HDD, i have gotten one of these IDE to SATA adapters from ebay.....

[​IMG]

as its impossible to get a new IDE driver at a decent price these days and dont really trust 2nd hand ones from ebay, so these IDE to SATA adapter boards seem to be the only solution, i also have 2 2.5" SATA HDD's, a Hitachi (5K500 b-320) 320GB and a WD Scorpio Blue (WD6400BPVT) 640GB drive.

I have used chimp v2.618 to try and clone both of these drivers which the operation seemed to have been successful, but once i have removed the old drive from the xbox and hooked up one of the 2.5 drives (making sure to change the jumper on the IDE 2 SATA adapter back to Master) when i boot the xbox up i get a green light on the front of the xbox for about 2-3 seconds and then it changes to flashing red and green and after the xbox logo on the screen the 'xbox requires service' screen appears

Looking at the status of the 'lock slave drive' screen within chimp it does appear that the drive appears to be lock compatible....

[​IMG]

once i have locked the drive, i have gone back into the 'lock slave driver' screen to see the status of the drive but it still says, 'HDD Locked: No'.

Any ideas on what the issue might be or doesn't the original xbox work with 2.5", i would have thought a WD Blue drive would be lock compatable so not sure what the issue is, would it be the IDE 2 SATA adapter board....or thought that seems to allow me to clone the drive just fine?

2. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Elite Member

I got it working now, i went to Maplin and bought a 40/80 pin IDE cable for £3 and all working now! [​IMG]

Ribbon ATA 166 70cm | Maplin

Guess the factory fitted IDE cable isnt compatible with these new drive speeds, grab em while you can i guess as soon these ide cables will probably be come extinct just like IDE drives

InsaneNutter likes this.
  3. Faze Caillou

Faze Caillou Member

Very interesting. Glad you solved your problem. :)