Best way to back up GB/GBC savefiles

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by Boyki, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Boyki

Boyki Member

So I am looking for the best/cheapest way to backup savefiles from gameboy and gameboy color cartridges. I have read multiple fora online but a lot of the praised hardware is not sold anymore. So far, the best option I have seen is the GBxCart RW. It is relatively cheap and supports whatever I need. So my main questions are:
    - What is the best availabe save file dumper price/quality wise?
    - What should I look out for when backing up and restoring save files?

I also have two semi related questions:
    - Would it somehow be possible to extract savefiles using the gameboy player and homebrew?
    - What is the best flashcart that supports RTC?

Thanks in advance guys :)

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

I'm a fan of the J Rodrigo Cart Flasher for GameBoy it is often out of stock, however you can add your email for a notification of when its back in stock. It's not mass produced which is why stock is limited, however its been a good product. Myself and various others in the Pokemon community own one.

I don't know of any homebrew ways to do GameBoy / GameBoy Colour save extraction, you can use homebrew on a DS for GBA saves and Homebrew on a 3DS for 3DS & NDS saves.

The EverDrive-GB X7 is the best flashcard that supports RTC in my opinion, certainly not cheap however its the only flashcard you will never need for GB / GBC games.

However if you want something much cheaper than will work with only one game at a time then look at this Pre-Modded Flash Cartridge with MBC3 + RTC (Timer) from J.Rodrigo it works with the cart flasher above and is a cheap alternative to one of the more expensive flash carts.

Boyki likes this.
  3. Boyki

Boyki Member

Thanks! I'll check them out :)

4. Boyki

Boyki Member

Just a little update. So I was messing about last night as i got a new GameCube with GameboyPlayer but eithout the start up disc. It turns out you can use a softmodded gamecube and the 'game boy interface' homebrew to extract/inject savefiles from GBA games. However, this does not work for GB/GBC games unfortunately. Maybe someone might figure out a way to make this possible eventually?

5. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

The GB / GBC uses different voltages to the GBA I believe, which is link functionality between GB / GBC to GBA games is not possible. With that in mind I suspect that will be the limitation here also.