Easy Nintendo Wii U Homebrew Channel Hack Guide [5.3.2, 5.4, 5.5.1, 5.5.2, 5.5.3, 5.5.4]

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii U Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Mar 21, 2016.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Your router is just using Google DNS, so i don't see a problem with that. Unless Nintendo started blocking known exploit mirrors which i very much doubt, im really not too sure why you can't load the mirror.

Can you directly load the nokernel.html page on the Wii U? if you can that would help narrow things down a bit: http://wiiu.insanenutter.com/nokernel.html

2. Wedwo

Wedwo New Member

I'm struggling to load the exploit on a 5.5.3 U console. I may just be impatient here, but I did notice that http://wiiu.insanenutter.com redirects to http://wiiu.insanenutter.com/payload552.html
    Also, no mention of 5.5.3 on www.insanenutter.com when I visit it from my PC browser. Is this normal? Is 5.5.2 payload the same as 5.5.3?
    Thanks!

*EDIT* Just answered my own question...
    It worked!
    I followed your steps to browse a bit to fill the cache, then run settings, quit settings and try the exploit. First time failed, I restarted the WiiU and went straight back to the exploit this time and it worked! **NOTE** this may be insignificant, but I pressed X to 'open the curtains' first??

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  3. InsaneNutter

5.5.2 and 5.5.3 can use the same payload as nothing changed, i'm glad you found it worked anyway.

Having a browser with some cache does make the exploit a lot more reliable, compared to older exploits this is usually quite reliable but can crash a few times.

4. TheELK

TheELK Member

Any particular reason why we need to block those Nintendo sites?
    Obviously last Nintendo update is 5.5.3 and you can set the WiiU to not receive updates??

5. InsaneNutter

Unless anything changed due to GDPR in Europe the Wii U forces you to update as soon as the update has downloaded, you get no say in the matter. Historically later firmware versions were not hack-able. Everyone also thought the last Wii U update would be 5.5.1, however we since got 5.5.2 and 5.5.3.

Granted everything is hack-able at the moment (however that did take some time to get to this point) and I really would be surprised if another update gets pushed out, however Sony did it with the PSP and the Xbox 360 is still getting random updates here and there.

If you have the ability to block updates then your certainly not doing yourself any harm by taking the time to do that, if not then you are probably ok at this point. However I always think better to be safe than sorry.

6. TheELK

TheELK Member

Thanks, im running homebrew as per your guide above and have around 200gb installed on an ext hdd. However recently my hdd appeared to be formatted and all games gone (prior to blocking the sites), could this be due to Nintendo sending a small patch? My firmware is still the same version...

7. InsaneNutter

I've never heard of that happening, is the hard drive getting enough power? I know for most drives you need a USB Y cable and two USB ports on the Wii U to power them, or be using an externally powered drive.

8. TheELK

TheELK Member

Definitely, i have an external powered HDD and been playing these games on it for months. It actually was formatted and i tried to reinstall a game to see if its not dead and it worked. This is why I came to this post about blocking the Nintendo updates because i thought as the console was connected to the net, it was possible that nintendo detected and sent some bug...anyway if its unlikely maybe the hdd just had a seizure.

9. Ziqzeeq

Ziqzeeq New Member

Hi, just wanna check, I followed your guide years ago when the system was 5.5.1 to mod my wii u. I did the permanent homebrew method. I recently played my wii u again and noticed that the latest update is 5.5.3. I have two questions that I hope you can assist me with.

1. Do I need to update my system or is it insignificant?

2. Do I need to redo the hack all over again if my wii u were to be updated? (For now I’m using the dns block to block the updates)

10. InsaneNutter

If you update you can easily go on the Eshop and buy content / update your games, that's about it.

Your permanent hacked Virtual Console game will still work to launch homebrew regardless.

I'm still on 5.5.1 as my routers been blocking updates for a few years now.

11. Aadc

Aadc New Member

I have japanese 5.2.0 wii u, is there any Way to update to 5.5.3 offline?

12. InsaneNutter

For the latest firmware you can just update online, some games discs have later firmware updates but I couldn't tell you which has what.

13. Aadc

Aadc New Member

Is this include updated Webhack?

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2019
  14. InsaneNutter

Yes, my mirror uses the latest JsTypeHax exploit for firmware which support it.

15. Aadc

Aadc New Member

Theres updated jstypehax on january 2019

16. TheELK

TheELK Member

Hey InsaneNutter,

I paid for BrainAge and ran Hixachi via WebExploit, it installed the offline HomeBrew launcher which is good.
    Now that I installed the games (without DLCs ofcourse), how can I remove HombrewLauncher and get back BrainAge without bricking it?

17. InsaneNutter

Presuming you didn't mess with the Wii U and make it auto boot CFW or anything you can just delete the hacked Brain Age game (Homebrew Launcher) and re-download it.

Although i'd advise keeping your hacked Brain Age in case you want hombrew again in the future.

18. InsaneNutter

Firmware 5.5.4 has been released, i'm informed everything in this guide works as expected.

19. TheELK

TheELK Member

You're kidding, they released a new firmware??

I have a feeling this will wipe all games installed via Wii U Usb helper.

20. InsaneNutter

So far only in Europe, so could be something GDPR related, however it could well push out to other regions soon.