game patches xbox 360 rgh

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by masternoxx, Oct 25, 2020.

1. masternoxx

masternoxx Well-Known Member

Have an xbox original game that I installed to a RGH xbox 360 hard drive (it was ruining my dvd drive with its constant loading).
    But you see the game has a 4mb bugfix patch that usually loads when I run it off DVD.
    Now there seem to be two methods to install the game on hard drive one is a folder, the other a GoD or games on demand package basically made with the folder contents.
    I used the GoD method for now, however I believe the games on demand are already patched.

Point is I want the patch to load with the game how can I be sure it does? Which dash should I use and should I use the folder format instead?

Thanks very much

I am wondering also where are these patches stored on the hard drive both for original xbox and xbox 360 games.
    For xbox 360 I believe they are stored in the same folder as the game, I will check the hard drive tomorrow

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

3. masternoxx

Thanks for reply,
    My question is basically, when you launch a 360 game through stock dash, it applies all "title updates" which are important game patches.
    Usually to launch and original xbox game I insert disc, and there are patches for these games too (must be connected to live), I believe.

When you launch a xbox original game on RGH in the GoD container, or in folder, do those patches get applied?

I am going to have to run a few original xbox games and see where the patches get downloaded and stored.

I took a couple pictures as you can see Skyr1m is a 360 game on demand but also has a title update. (recieved this game with my console purchase / 250mb forza /skyrim edition)
    xb2.jpg
    Also I am wondering what is in this picture "xbox compat title update" what is the purpose of that file?
    xb1.jpg

4. muzamil

muzamil Elite Member

Just use a stealth server which is in free mode rn... And you xbox must be on latest dashboard.. So you can connect to live and download updates from xbl

5. muzamil

muzamil Elite Member

If you need help you can ask me..

6. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

If you are on Xbox Live the Xbox 360 downloads the latest title update for that game.

Microsoft closed down Xbox Live off for the original Xbox over 10 years ago now, however before that it was possible to update games like Halo 2 and download the content from within the game on the Xbox 360. That's no longer possible, so you need to use the content installers by Harcroft which install and sign the content for use on your Xbox 360.

What you need to keep in mind is Xbox Live on the Xbox Classic worked very differently to Xbox Live on the Xbox 360. For Xbox Classic games on the Xbox 360 the original Xbox Live is been emulated, which means games such as Halo 2 downloaded updates / DLC from within the Xbox Live menu of that game, Xbox Live was not an "always on" service running at the system level, it ran from within the game which supported it. This is why you could never use the friends list / party chat features of the Xbox 360 when playing Xbox Classic games, voice chat had to be done from within the game, the same as on the Xbox Classic.

muzamil likes this.
  7. masternoxx

Okay tried out Aurora dashboard and it definitely loads the patches and tells you when it does, so that is nice.
    I believe all I need to do is turn off liveblock, to get patches needed, yes I am on latest dash, but I will google stealth server usage to be safer, thank you.

Actually have never had an original xbox, I just am aware from using many xbox dvd games and xbox 360 games there are many patches, and now more because of xbox one. When I transferred my data from my old hard drive to the new one the games that were installed from DVD were not transferred and either were the patches for any dvd games. The xbox 360 OS does not allow you to. Maybe next time I will transfer with my PC instead.

Right now I'm playing M0rrowind and am sure that before it downloaded something for it, thought there was a patch for it but I don't see one, maybe it is the "xbox back compat title update" that it downloaded? Still not exactly sure what that is and can't find any info on the net about it. Is it a patch to update the emulator or some type of cumulative patch for supported games, not sure.