Gen 3 to Gen 5 Pokemon Event Questions

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by Wynaut, May 24, 2020.

1. Wynaut

Wynaut Member

Hello, I’m new to this and I’ve got quite a few questions but I’m not sure where they fit best, so I’ll try to summarise the more general ones. :)

Basically I’m interested in all Gen 3 to Gen 5 events (pokemon and items) αnd I’d like to get them as “legit” as possible. (I suppose that means replicating the distribution method using a flash cart, if other methods are considered equally “legit” please let me know)

1. On to the actual questions.. Having checked a few different places it seems that the R4i Gold 3DS Plus (r4ids.cn) seems to be the most highly recommended DS cart and similarly the EZ Flash Omega for GBA, would you guys recommend anything else? Particularly for GBA, is there a better alternative at the same price range or something similarly decent for a lower price? (how does the older Flash2Advance compare to the EZ one?)​

Oh and can anyone recommend an EU-based store to buy those? I probably won’t be able to get these from China for the time being (nds-card can’t send to my country due to the pandemic)

(I was initially planning on using the flash carts just for replicating the distributions but on 2nd thought I figured I might as well use them to play some games too)

2. Are there any distributions that can’t be replicated using a flash cart?

3. Are there other methods considered equally “legit” for acquiring certain event pokemon/items? (I’m unfamiliar and kinda torn regarding the Mystery Gift Tool or other methods to inject wonder cards etc.)

4. How can I get Wi-Fi distributions from Gens 4 & 5?​

I’ve already read through many threads multiple times so I’m aware of the equipment needed (consoles, flash carts, link cable / wireless adapter) and a lot of the relevant info of each distribution. I’ll leave it at that for now and ask more specific questions in threads devoted for specific distributions.

P.S. Is there a Discord server (or similar) for this community? (apart from the Project Pokemon one)

2. Gridelin

Gridelin Well-Known Member

Glad to see more people interested in this community :)
    To answer some of your questions:

1. Any DS Flashcard will likely work fine, I've personally used a $4 flashcard for years without any issues, but to my knowledge only certain flashcards will work on the 3ds without modifications to the 3DS. GBA flashcards will all run you around $50 on the low end.
    2. The decchi.bin/azure flute slot-2 distribution cartridge will not work without a Flash2advance style cart (not sure if there is a specific name for this style of cart).
    3. In my opinion, things like wondercard injection are a close second to the real distribution software. For example if you distribute an Aurora Ticket with the official ROM, and then distribute one with the mystery gift tool and compare the savefiles in a hex editor they will be almost identical.
    4. Wondercard injection is your best bet, or editing the 2008 Deoxys ROM to distribute the wondercard of your choice.
    There used to be a discord for this but it died sometime last year when the owner's discord account got locked and nobody had permission to manage the server. Now-a-days we mostly just use the ProjectPokemon one, but we should probably make a new one honestly, you're not the first person recently to ask about it. Hope this helped!

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  3. Wynaut

Wynaut Member

Thanks for all the info. (Y)

2. Should have been a bit more specific here.. I suppose I'm referring to in-life events for items such as the MysticTicket or EonTicket (or similar), since I couldn't find them in this section.

3 & 4. For event pokemon/items not distributed in-life using distribution cartridges (i.e. Wi-Fi events, Global Link etc.), is there any way to replicate these distributions? (I've come across Dream World Arceus since posting my previous message, I wasn't aware of events distributed this way)

If not, what's the most "legit" way to obtain them? How does DNS abuse compare to injecting wondercards in terms of legitimacy?

Regarding Discord, has the owner's account been banned/closed (anything permanent basically) or is there a chance it could be retrieved?

4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Mystery Gift Tool will get these events in to your save game, theirs also a NDS version of the tool

You can hack an existing distribution to to make it distribute the event you want, I think injecting the wonder card in to your save is the easiest way to go about this. Either result is about as legit as you can get at this point. With that you know where the wondercard has come from, with a randomly hosted DNS server you can't be 100% (although i'd suspect these are legit - i've not used any of these DNS services though).

I keep getting asked for a Digiex discord, i'd created a server a while ago however that's as far as it got. As we're hosting a lot of Pokemon content it might well be a benefit to talk about these distributions.

I've created a distribution-hq channel for this type of discussion. Not really sure if anything will come of it but you guys can join here if you like: https://discord.gg/JsgADvS

5. Wynaut

Wynaut Member

Is there a similar tool for Gen 4 & Gen 5 Events/Wonder cards? If not, what's the best alternative? (apart from replicating the distributions on a flash cart of course)

Hmm I get what you're saying regarding hosted DNS servers but this got me thinking... Would it not be possible to use this method to upload legit pokemon/events/wonder cards on a hosted DNS server, which could then be distributed to anyone's game, bypassing the need for a flash cart or an external tool (i.e. Mystery Gift tool)?

On a different topic, I've noticed that some Gen 4 distributions were only available on Diamond/Pearl (which I don't own). I suppose the only way to replicate the distribution (without buying either game) would be to buy 2 DS flash carts, right?

Oh and see you on Discord :D

6. InsaneNutter

Injecting the wondercard with Pkhex is probably the most easy way for Gen 4 - 5.

nds-constraint is the flaw that allows any non modded DS to connect to custom servers, as to how Mystery Gift servers are been run on certain 3rd party servers i dont know. Someone has reversed this at some point and is running their own server.

Yup pretty much you'd need two flash carts, it's certainly worth buying the older Pokemon games though as they only seem to be going up in value.

Have fun!

7. Wynaut

Wynaut Member

Thanks for the info once more :)

Regarding 3rd party servers, do you think that would be something you guys here on Digiex (or Project Pokemon) could attempt to come up with or is there no interest in such thing? I just imagine it would make everything more accessible for many people to distribute events this way. Or maybe there are already 3rd party servers which allow uploading & distributing "custom" pokemon/items/wonder cards?

I've bought a few too many older games recently (and I'm still interested in getting Emerald which seems to be the most expensive of them all) so I was hoping to avoid getting Diamond/Pearl (since I bought Platinum). :D Could you suggest a good but cheap DS card for the sole purpose of distributing events? (given I'll buy a R4i Gold 3DS Plus which would also be used to run/play games)

8. InsaneNutter

If a script or application became available to host such a service we certainly have the resources / additional ip addresses to run a custom server for the community on Digiex.

I'd honestly just buy two R4i Gold 3DS Plus cards, it works on all DS / 3DS consoles and has no time bomb (stops the card from working after a certain date) which a lot of cheaper cards seem to have. I recommend that card as I have one myself and it seems the best value clone card on the market these days.

9. Wynaut

Wynaut Member

I've actually found some relatively recent posts on this subject (within the last 12 months) and it seems this has been accomplished in some way, if I've understood correctly. I'll send the link with the info on Discord. :)

I'm definitely getting one of those carts but I realised I may not really need a 2nd one for what I'm trying to achieve. I've just posted some questions on Discord before seeing your response but I'll post a thought here too so you can verify if it's correct..

So basically the need for a 2nd DS flash cart would be in order to distribute some Diamond/Pearl-only events, since I don't own either of those games. But I realised I could simply replicate the distribution on PC emulators and then use the save file on a DS flash cart to transfer the distributions to my legit carts. This way I wouldn't need a 2nd DS flash cart while still replicating the actual distribution. Would the end result be the same as using real hardware or would there be any differences?