Modding a DS

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by Dark Scyth, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

Hopefully you guys can help me out as to DS modding I am totally clueless as to what to do (something about a cartridge for modding). Keep in mind i'm talking about a DS and not a DSI. Any help is appreciated, i'd like to know how to play back-ups of DS games and GBA games and if there is anything cool homebrew, themes, cool DS programs (like emulators), anything.

Thanks in advance.

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

The DS has to be the most easy console in the world to mod, you basically need to buy a DS Flashcard, load it with homebrew, roms and media, put it in your DS and enjoy. It will boot its self, no flashing custom firmware or anything.

A flashcard is basically just a DS cartridge which will take a little Micro SDHC card that has all your games / homebrew on.

I honestly couldn't tell you the best flashcard to buy today, I got mine at the end of 2007, at the time the M3DS Real was the best card on the market - it has no problems with games released today so I guess its still a good card. The interface is very nice when you turn it on too.

I got the M3DS Real as it took SDHC cards and had a ram pack to play GBA games saved on the flashcard, along with the good reviews everyone gave it.

Hope that starts you off in the right direction.

Dark Scyth likes this.
  3. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

That does help a bit, i'll look for one of those. Now I just need to find a legit website.

4. Titcher

Titcher Addict

Here: PriceAngels : $6.54 New TopToy DSTT Multimedia Card for NDS and NDS Lite (Supports SDHC)

The site is perfectly legit, the cartridge however, probably not, that's probably not the fault of the site in question though, the clones and real cartridges are often produced in the same factories. But to get that card going, look up dstti at the gbatemps.net download thing, which winds up at filetrip, but anywho, look up dstti, there's a starter pack, extract that to your microSDHC, and you're good to go. As for microSDHC, I recommend this: 7dayshop.com - Online Store

Don't buy your flash card or microSD off of ebay, you will get ripped with a fake. If you don't want that particular model I linked, current fanciest model about, is the AceKard 3i.

Dark Scyth likes this.
  5. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

The price of this does seem a bit much but i'll probably end up getting this one.

6. BonezOz

BonezOz Addict

Sydney, Australia, the greatest city in the World
    We use the Acekard 2 here at home. The card and the microSD card are completely legal to buy for people so that they can develop for the DS. The software to run the card can be downloaded on the manufacturers website. All in all the AU$35 I paid for each card was well worth it.

Acekard | AK | AK+ | AK2 | AK RPG | NDS Flash Cart

7. Harcroft

Harcroft Addict

I agree with Titcher. NDSTT looks cheap but it's a primo cartridge. Got mine from Dealextreme for like $6, had an old 1GB micro SD from my defective M3 Simply (which M3 refused to replace). Dealextreme guarantees all NDSTT cartridges purchased there are legit now, not clones. The $6 one just come with the cartridge though, you'll have to get your own Transflash reader. I just use an SD card reader with an SD adapter personally. It works better than the crappy TF reader I got from M3.

All homebrew works fine for me with the NDSTT. It even worked with my M3 saves. Just bear in mind that no matter what cartridge you buy, you'll need a separate slot 2 cartridge for GBA games.

Best of luck!

8. paardje

paardje Addict

Sorry, but is modding a DS not a little kinda of... well... illegal?

9. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Only if you pirate games, a flash card has plenty of legal uses too such as allowing the DS to play MP3's, video, view photos, run emulators and homebrew games (there's a couple of good ones too!)

Here is a guy using a DS to control an SLR camera, good example of a flashcard been put to good use.