Older RGH xbox suddenly started smelling like burning

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by Deleted member 52906, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Hello,
    my xbox was turned on for ~2 hours (i was copying some files to it). Then it was turned off for 2 hours and when i turned off, after 10-15min, xbox started to lag. After few minutes, the xbox started to smell like burning. I turned it off and unplugged, but it still smells after 20 min. It's interesting, the xbox was booting fine within 30 sec (usually when my xbox is hot, it has bad boot times) and XDK Launcher and BO2 main menu was working fine. The xbox also was in colder room.
    Do you know what it could be? (probably fried plastic or bad thermal paste on Xenos?)
    Thanks (it's Trinity with stock fan, but replaced thermal paste AFAIK)

2. Gunz4Hire

Gunz4Hire Exotic XeX Hunter

That freaking sucks man!
    Id tear her apart and see, not very common that Trinitys overheat, could be the chip? What Kind of chip do you have installed?

3. Gunz4Hire

Gunz4Hire Exotic XeX Hunter

i was thinking, you said you replaced the thermal paste, perhaps when you assembled everything you placed the fan shroud off to one side causing it to touch the heatsinks? just a guess. I have a problem getting the fan scroud on right, always takes me a nice wiggle to get it to lock in without tension. Best on luck. if its just plastic you should be ok? hurts me to hear this ive bee thinking bout it all day

4. Fixed. It wasn't thermal paste. Something was smelling near Kinect+Ethernet connector. I think, maybe the Kinect power solder point was touching the iron case, which caused short circuit. I inserted paper under the motherboard and now i'm playing Perfect Dark on it for 2 hours, temperature is normal (cpu=~75c) and nothing smells.
    You can close this thread