Problem with Hddhackr and setting up my Xbox 360 250gig hdd PLZ HELP!!

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by xOrange, Apr 30, 2012.

1. xOrange

xOrange Member

Hi guys, i'm new to the forums and registered because I DESPERATLY need help. I recently discovered that my xbox 360 has a non-microsoft branded hard drive in it, which I wouldn't mind if it worked properly, but lately i've been running it problems. Firstly, my hard drive for some reason doesn't let me go over 56 or so gigs, even though it says theres 176 gigs remaning (228 in total). If I go over this amount, be it by downloading something, installing something, saving, etc., my xbox crashes and restarts, and whatever file I was saving to the hard-drive becomes corrupted. Secondly, I'm unable to play original xbox games. I understand this issue is because the 2nd partition was not properly set up. I'm very new to this stuff but I have a theory as the why the first problem is occuring, as I noticed there are different security sectors when flashing a hard drive, and i'm thinking the person who flashed mine used a 60gb security sector with the drive, and as such I can't go over that amount (this is only a theory as i'm not exactly sure how it all works). So I figured I could solve both these problems by properly flashing the drive with the 250gig security sector and properly putting the 2nd partition in. So I download the program that lets me boot from my usb, the 250gig security sector, and the .bin file (all posted by another member on the site in his guide). I put the hard drive I want to flash in my laptop, set the flash drive (it reads it properly) to the #1 priority for booting. I get to the correct screen where your supposed to enter "hddhackr" and do so then hit enter, and all it does is bump me to the next line with the _ flashing, at which point I can't do anything besides turn of the computer. I've tried changing the thing in the BIOS to IDE (its the only other thing i can change from ADHC or whtver it is), and it still fails. I've searched EVERYWHERE on the internet and others have had the same issue but nobody as ever posted a solution to the problem. I am becoming VERY frustrated this all, and would GREATLY, GREATLY appreciate it if somebody could take the time to help/explain a solution to my problem(S) (like i mentioned before I'm not really tech savvy or anything but I know how to follow instructions.) Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

I think what you have is actually a 60gb hard drive that has been flashed with a 250gb security sector, that would explain why its failing when you get to 56gb or so of used hard drive.

The easiest way to confirm this would be to open the enclosure up and look on the hard drive. It should state the size the drive actually is.

If that is the case follow my tutorial and re flash the drive with the 60gb security sector and all should be good, the tutorial also explains how to restore partition 2 so that should fix any compatibility issues with Xbox 1 games.

3. xOrange

xOrange Member

I checked and it is in fact a 250gb western digital blue scorpio internal hard drive. Also yours was the tutorial I was following originally actually, and like I said I got up to the screen where you enter "hddhackr" (it was the correct screen and was the usb was recognized and priority 1) and when I type in hddhackr and press enter it bumps the cursor down a line and at that point it doesn't let me do anything, all i can do is power off the computer. I saw others having this problem around some forums and on youtube comments but I never found a solution to the problem.

4. xOrange

xOrange Member

also, would using a 60gb security sector on a 250gb hard drive limit it to only 56gigs and then start failing as I described or is it some other random problem entirely?

5. Rick

Rick Moderator

It would show the drive below 60gb and that's how much you could use. You should try this to fix the problem, move anything you need(gamesaves,profiles,ect) to a usb drive.Format the drive in system settings and install every game to the hard drive to see if this has fixed it.

6. xOrange

xOrange Member

I was thinking about doing this but then i realized how long it would take, it does show it as having 228gigs of free space but like I said if i went over 57 gigs my sytem would freeze, restart, and then whatever i was saving would become corrupted. But your saying that if a 60gb security sector was used there would be no way for it to show up as 228gb of free space? If so, then the format may have solved that problem, but either way i'd still have to re-flash it to get the partition 2 set up for the original xbox games, which I'm having trouble doing since I can't get past successfully entering hddhackr and initiating the program at all.

7. Rick

Rick Moderator

Formatting takes less than a minute for all drives. For partition 2 you don't need hddhackr or dos.
    https://digiex.net/downloads/downlo...360-partition-2-download-xbox-1-emulator.html

8. xOrange

xOrange Member

I already formatted the drive, I meant building up the 50gb on data would take a while, I think I am going to try it though. Also thanks for the link, i'm not sure how I would connect the hdd to my laptop though (before I just removed my laptop's hdd and replaced it with the 360 one) would I have to use like a SATA to USB cable or something?

9. Rick

Rick Moderator

You can use a sata to usb cord with a power adapter or a generic transfer cable.Don't format anything with these cables or the drive won't work on the xbox.

10. xOrange

xOrange Member

Alright i'm trying to install past 50gb right now, I just passed 20gb so i'm crossing my fingers. If I can get past 50gb and that problem is solved, I guess I'll work on finding a way to connect the SATA to a PC and i'll be good to go, if not i'll probably have no choice but to buy a new hard drive altogether, either way thanks a lot for your help I really appreciate it.

11. xOrange

xOrange Member

nope, formatted, got to 176gigs remaining and now everytime i try to save even one more thing onto it system crashes, restarts, and the data is corrupted, in other words, the hard drive is a piece of junk for no conceivable reason, oh well.

12. grimdeliverance

grimdeliverance New Member

@ InsaneNutter.

1 - Just completed a 20gb to 250gb (WD2500BEVS) using ur guide. Didnt get the message about the partition bit, so when I put it back together I formatted using the Xbox 360. I then used a usb backup of all my info, saves, etc and completed that.

2 - Will everything be ok with this now or do I have to use hddhackr to partition, etc to get it running.

3 - Also, again a noob question to ask - but this will be xbox live safe wont it??

thanks

13. Rick

Rick Moderator

Everything should be ok and its live safe.

14. gtokie

gtokie New Member

Im having almost the same problem as op. The difference is i have a 500gb WD harddrive im trying to flash, but when i try to get hddhackr loaded from the boot menu, i type hddhackr, bumps me down a line, and i cant do anything. ive been searching to fix this issue for hours. wd5000bevt is my hdd and i have an hp pavilion dv7

15. Rick

Rick Moderator

Copy the hddhackr & bin files to a folder. Then re-create the bootable usb drive with freedos.

16. gtokie

gtokie New Member

Well now im getting invalid system disk when i reformatted to freedos

17. Rick

Rick Moderator

Usually both versions of dos will work with most computers. I'm not too sure of a fix for this.

18. gtokie

gtokie New Member

only issue im having is booting hddhackr from ms dos

19. gtokie

gtokie New Member

does it make a difference that my comp has 2 hdds?

20. Rick

Rick Moderator

To be safe you should disconnect the other hard drives and connect the hard drive you want to hack to the 1st port. Reformat the usb drive with msdos if you haven't done so yet.