[Question] RGH, then what?!!

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by rossta99, May 5, 2012.

1. rossta99

rossta99 New Member

Hi,
    Please bear with me - I've tried looking up all sorts of info on this and (as usual) have made myself more confused than ever!

I'm getting my 360 JTAG'd this weekend (paying a professional to do it for me). It's on dash 14719 so I'd imagine he'll be using the RGH tactic (possibly v2.0?).

From what I understand, he'll give me back the 360 in a state that it is RGH'd/JTAG'd, however I understand I'll be the one that will need to load software onto it.

This is where I start to get confused. Essentially I'd like to end up with Freestyle Dash running on it from boot. I think this will require me to install XeXMenu first ?

My questions (!):
    1. Do i necessarily need to install XeXMenu or can I get a CD ISO from somewhere that just has FSD on it?
    2. Why do people use XeXMenu? Is it just for copying files ?
    3. MOST IMPORTANTLY, what type of media should I burn XeXMenu/FSD onto in order to load it onto my 360? (this doesn't seem to be apparent in ANY tutorial I've found!)
    4. Is there another way of loading XeXMenu/FSD onto the 360? eg can I put them on a USB thumbstick and load from there?
    5. I've heard of Freeboot and Dashlaunch - what are they? Are they something that my professional should be loading for me (ie firmware based) ?
    6. In terms of updates, what can I expect to have to do later on down the line - when M$ release a new dash, should I update or not? (this is assuming I may be dipping in and out of NXE occasionally)
    7. I've got a load of original game discs that I'd like to store on a NAS somehow. I've read mininutters excellent guide on playing games over a network so I'm hoping to go down this route. Will FSD load games from ISO images stored on my NAS (with .dvd files) or will I need to extract each image (using exiso for example) into its own folder in order for FSD to play it (some games are multiple dvd games eg Forza)

Many thanks for any helpful soul who is willing to spend some time helping us noobs :)

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

1. You dont need to install it, you can just run it from a disc. Once you have FSD setup you will not need it anyway.

2. XEX Menu predates FSD, i personally dont use it. However its very easy just to tell someone to burn an ISO, put this disc in the 360 and have a usable file manager on the Xbox 360. So for someone in your situation it makes things easy when starting out.

3. Burn it on to a CD / DVD, if you know how to inject files in to an Xbox 360 formatted usb flash drive you can even do it like that. Here is an ISO i have created with contains XEX Menu, an app to partition your internal hard drive (useful if you have upgraded to a large drive) and the hacked backwards compatibility for Xbox 1 games (plays some that are not officially supported.) https://download.digiex.net/Consoles/Xbox360/Jtag/harddrive.zip

4. If the USB drive has been configured for use in the Xbox 360, then yes. You can inject it in to the content\0000000000000000 folder. Extract my ISO i linked to above with WinRAR and you can just inject the contents if you know how, which i presume you do.

5. Freeboot is what your console will be running when its been hacked, its esentially the Microsoft dashboard with the security checks removed which allows you to run homebrew / unsigned code. Dashlaunch is a program that allows you to load a program when the 360 starts, for example FSD or XEX Menu. It also contains additional patches, such as removing the 30ms ping limit, this allows you to play system link games over the internet.

6. You will have to update every so often, you will not need to every time MS releases a new update, i generally update once a year when MS releases a huge update which is usually October / November time. If you install Dashlaunch it will allow you to play games that need a newer dash version, without updating. You will need to update eventually though as new features are added and libraries are updated.

7. You will need to extract the games for FSD to pick them up, however i would run games off the consoles hard drive, its significantly faster, plus not all games will stream over the network.

Hope that helps you a bit, were all a noob at one point so dont worry about it :)

Specter and Rick like this.
  3. rossta99

rossta99 New Member

many thanks for the prompt reply and excellent help :)

just in regards to point 4., you can assume that I have no idea how to inject files onto an XBOX360 formatted USB. Is there a Tutorial anywhere on how to do this?

Thanks

4. InsaneNutter

First you must configure the USB drive to be used by the Xbox 360 - to do that we have a tutorial here: https://digiex.net/guides-reviews/c...ick-used-xbox-360-storage-saves-profiles.html

Next you must inject a file in to the Content\0000000000000000, we have a tutorial here for an older version of the app you must use: https://digiex.net/guides-reviews/c...xbox-360-how-inject-into-usb-flash-drive.html

The latest version can be downloaded from here: https://digiex.net/downloads/downlo...sb-storage-explorer-xplorer-xtaf-v44-new.html

5. rossta99

rossta99 New Member

perfect. i've done this in preparation :)

one more question (hopefully the last!) - can you recommend a tool for extracting the ISO files. I've had a quick look at exiso (im on linux btw) but it doesn't seem to support 360 images, only xbox1.

isn't it just a case of extracting with unrar (winrar) or am i being too simplistic? does exiso "add" anything that a standard unzip package would miss?

thanks

6. InsaneNutter

exiso should support 360 images i believe.

This tool will extract iso's - https://digiex.net/downloads/downlo...-creator-extract-xdg3-isos-gui-interface.html as will this one: https://digiex.net/downloads/downlo...est-easiest-xdg3-extraction-tool-gui-ftp.html

Use which ever you like best, or can get working on Linux.

I dont think you can just extract 360 iso's with WinRAR last time i checked.

I personally just use ISO2god and convert all my games to games on demand packages - https://digiex.net/downloads/downlo...oad-converts-xgd3-isos-gods-games-demand.html

7. Specter

Specter Elite Member

Nice info, very helpful for me too
    thx

8. Specter

Specter Elite Member

Excuse me, but how can i get dashlaunch and how to install it??? MaxPayne3 requires system update!!!

9. InsaneNutter

10. Specter

Specter Elite Member

As always, thanks alot ^_^